Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I would venture to say most everyone who replaces their own carpet likely purchased the molded carpets. Anything else would make it a much tougher job and wouldn't look as good. My experience was that there was some minor trimming to do for a more perfect fit, nothing difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
It was also recommended to let it sit in place, under a hot sun to help it settle just right.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Don't make any cuts until you measure twice(Sound familiar) work the air pockets on either side of the trany hump and then work your way outward towards the sill plates, going back and forth to either side. Make any minor cuts that is called for as you go. Get to the sill plate , double check the contour and trim as needed. Remember, start in the center and work towards the outside.

Good luck
PB out

·
Registered
194 Posts
I replaced the shot carpeting in mine last year. Letting the molded carpet sit in place is a worthwhile idea; since it was november or so I let it sit unwrapped in the bedroom for like four or six weeks prior.

Remember Ford used a couple buttonhead sheetmetal screws at random to hold the carpet in place, in most cases. Just check on yourseat platforms or floorboards for tiny screw holes. Those sheetmetal screws hold everything in place nicely. I went one step further and bolted the carpet to the seat mounting holes temporarily before trimming the edges around the door sill area.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^^ LOL -- Everybody like a cute one but nobody like a smart one! Pre-formed is the prefered method in my book, but I've done some with the flat stock. Black is easy to get away with, but light colors are gonna show much more. With patience and a heat gun, you can get decent results but it's not fun. I agree with Jay, use plenty of heavy weights as you go to help form it. Be sure it's automotive carpet though! Otherwise it might get moldy! :>) Also it will have the right fibers that will heat/form and stay better. Good time to think about underlayment/noise canceling while your in there.....good luck

·
Registered
980 Posts
You might want to look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls... Certainly moldy carpet would be nasty.

Molds are fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae. In contrast, microscopic fungi that grow as single cells are called yeasts. A connected network of these tubular branching hyphae has multiple, genetically identical nuclei and is considered a single organism, referred to as a colony or in more technical terms a mycelium.

Molds do not form a specific taxonomic or phylogenetic grouping, but can be found in the divisions Zygomycota, Deuteromycota and Ascomycota. Some molds cause disease or food spoilage, others play an important role in biodegradation or in the production of various foods, beverages, antibiotics and enzymes.

Hmmmm.....must have missed that lesson in chemistry, ..... so you are saying that the usage of "MOLDY" or "MOLDED" are incorrect? If you ordered a "moldy" hamburger and it was green when it arrived at your table, then you got what you ordered. If I told you that the armpits in that "Lonely Russian Woman who wants to meet a lonely american man" (she keeps sending out SPAM emails) are moldy, then you would have visions of green armpits, right? (BTW I have seen lonely Russian women before, and they look like the lonely Russian men).

Now if you are making a Jello mold, would it be green? Or would the use of a Jello-MOULD be more appropriate?

mould US, mold [məʊld]
1. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) a shaped cavity used to give a definite form to fluid or plastic material
2. (Miscellaneous Technologies / Building) a frame on which something may be constructed
3. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) something shaped in or made on a mould
4. shape, form, design, or pattern
5. specific nature, character, or type heroic mould

Your thoughts, please??

·
Registered
106 Posts
My thoughts; you indicated...
Cedar Rapids IA said:
molded carpet is nasty...MOULDED carpet is good! :)
...suggesting the use of the word "molded" may be an incorrect usage for "pre-formed carpet" and the use of the word "moulded" to be correct. When in fact the use of the word "molded" carpet is indeed a correct usage of the word to describe a pre-formed carpet. The word moulded is the much less used and more commonly British usage that has the same meaning. Like color vs. colour. The use of the words "Moldy carpet" as I suggested is a descriptive phrase for a carpet that contains an organism such as mold. Why do you say a molded carpet is nasty? Look up "jello molds" on Google and tell us what you get. Forms or biology?

Back to the topic of molded carpets.
I think there used to be some helpful hints and instructions on Cougar carpet installation on the old TCCN website. I do not know if those exist any more on the newer TCCN. Perhaps someone here has a copy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Something's wrong, something's amiss!

The last three times I tried to post something concerning mold vs. mould, the forum would bug out on me, redirect me elsewhere or just plain refreshed the window I was typing my reply in.

I'm telling you, we have to beware; there lurks an EVIL entity in molding!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replys very help full i gess thats what i'm going with plus adding black stripes on the side then thats it for this year other then a long drive down to tenn in july

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just ordered a set for my car. I have done one in my 70 mustang and although it took some time since it was my first crack at it I was pretty pleased on how it turned out. I think this go around will be even better. The pre-cut carpets seem to be pretty good fit wise overall

1 - 13 of 13 Posts