Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew of a write up that involved swapping in a modular engine into a 1967 or 1968 Cougar. I just wanted to see if was at all economical to do for my Cougar. Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My cat is completely stripped and read for some serious alterations if need be.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I coulda swore I read somewhere you don't have to modify the shock towers. BUT - it's a very snug fit and it would be nice to have a modern updated steering setup while your at it! There are quite a few mustang mags that have done some write ups on it over the years. I like this approach and info: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0905_ford_mod_motors/viewall.html

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The 2 valver will fit, but the 4 cam motor won't.
Check out user Coubra's build. There's another too. Can't recall the username right now.

Remeber that this is a unibody car, so you can't just hack the front suspension out and weld in Mustang 2. Forces from the front wheels need to be transferred to the firewall since the front frame isn't intended to take that force
Welding and fab work are requisite for this swap to work properly.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Why swap down to only 281 cubic inches? Yeah, they're smooth, but also heavier than the stock 289/302. You'd be much better served swapping in an EFI 5.0 HO and AOD.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why swap down to only 281 cubic inches? Yeah, they're smooth, but also heavier than the stock 289/302. You'd be much better served swapping in an EFI 5.0 HO and AOD.

Ford Racing's new all-aluminum 5.0L Mustang crate engine is a modern 5.0L 32-valve DOHC V-8 that uses advanced features like Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) to deliver a very conservatively rated (see below) 412+ horsepower @ 6500 rpm and 390 ft.-lb.+ of torque @ 4250 rpm (with premium fuel)
I want the reliability and performance that the Modular offers. Along the same reason people up the tire sizes on their cars. Better performance, reliability, and safety. Not to mention the Gas mileage factor. Also I like it and that is all that really matters to me.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
maybe heavier, but the stock engine can take power levels that the old windsor blocked engines never could.
It runs better, idles smoother, last longer, and looks enormous in the bay.
The 5 liter coyote engine is even better than the aging mod motors.
Lots of good reasons. But, ultimately it's like debating which flavor of pie is better.
If I were going to swap to a cammer engine, I'd go with Toyota's iForce V8, but that's my favorite flavor of pie. In my mind, Honda can do no wrong, but Toyota is a close second. :)

·
5,470 Posts
Well, since AirborneCougar didn't specify that he was thinking of the 5.0 Coyote DOHC... I could only assume that he was talking a 'normal' 4.6 SOHC.

Yeah, that Coyote DOHC is a marvel of engineering, but you'll have to do some serious modifications to get it to fit into a early Cougar engine bay! But even if you were to make the swap, you'd still be driving 45-year-old technology -- Suspension, steering, brakes... not to mention the quantum improvements in vehicle safety standards. Just buy a new 2012 Cobra 500 and be done with it!

BTW, even the 4.6L 3-valve motor in an '05 GT Mustang is impressive - and my buddy who has one since new is averaging 24+mpg with it!!!

I got an e-mail the other day from another car buddy. It was 'this is why my classic stays in the garage'. I guess at a car show/cruise somewhere in Ca-ca-fornia at a shopping center, a dumb beotch in a Lexus was texting and ran into the side of a '65 Tempest 2-dr hardtop. Knocked the entire passenger door of the Tempest into the interior of the car. Door pillar gave up and was leaned over... Not a very safe car for side-impact, eh? How do you think your Classic Cougar would fare?? About the same.

I guess what I'm trying to say is classics are classics for a reason. Once you totally revamp it trying to make it something else, it will be neither! But then again, your project, your time, and your money... To each his own. We're all different and have different tastes. Just not for me. To-MAY-toe, To-MAH-toe... If that's what your really want, go for it!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
cougarcj is right in the statement about classics. But that is for the fellow who wants a classic that is original. But that is not the real world or at least not the whole automotive world. Just watch a Barret Jackson or Mechum auctions. There are many nice modded and ultra radical build cars going for big money. SEMA is one of the largest auto events in the world and it isn't about restoration parts. Pro touring is a very popular style or genre of cars these days. Many pro touring take classic styling and put new technology to work on them. 40 year old anything is discarded and replaced with high tech. I am going to put a 5.0 fuelie with AEOD in a 55 Ford Victoria hardtop. All suspension will be equally updated. Some will say blasphemy. I say it is my car and will do what I want with it. I could go get a 20 something cobra or other bad ass Mustang, but anyone can go buy a car. To build one the way you want it and use a classic design as the starting point is what I want to do. Go for it AIRBORNECOUGAR and I look forward to seeing pics and write ups as you progress.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, since AirborneCougar didn't specify that he was thinking of the 5.0 Coyote DOHC... I could only assume that he was talking a 'normal' 4.6 SOHC.

Yeah, that Coyote DOHC is a marvel of engineering, but you'll have to do some serious modifications to get it to fit into a early Cougar engine bay! But even if you were to make the swap, you'd still be driving 45-year-old technology -- Suspension, steering, brakes... not to mention the quantum improvements in vehicle safety standards. Just buy a new 2012 Cobra 500 and be done with it!
BTW, even the 4.6L 3-valve motor in an '05 GT Mustang is impressive - and my buddy who has one since new is averaging 24+mpg with it!!!

I got an e-mail the other day from another car buddy. It was 'this is why my classic stays in the garage'. I guess at a car show/cruise somewhere in Ca-ca-fornia at a shopping center, a dumb beotch in a Lexus was texting and ran into the side of a '65 Tempest 2-dr hardtop. Knocked the entire passenger door of the Tempest into the interior of the car. Door pillar gave up and was leaned over... Not a very safe car for side-impact, eh? How do you think your Classic Cougar would fare?? About the same.

I guess what I'm trying to say is classics are classics for a reason. Once you totally revamp it trying to make it something else, it will be neither! But then again, your project, your time, and your money... To each his own. We're all different and have different tastes. Just not for me. To-MAY-toe, To-MAH-toe... If that's what your really want, go for it!
Thanks, But I did mention the Coyote 5.0 DOHC about 8 tabs in to be exact. I have already had the doors re-enforced and put some added beef inside the trunk as well as upgrading the braking system to a hydro boost, completely redone suspension 12inch Wilwood brakes, upgraded passenger restraints, rear disc brakes, and a multitude of other things as well. I know that there are some people who think that this is a bad Idea or they just don't like it when people do it. I say great. I think there is no reason that it can't be done and done safely. I don't want a new mustang, if I did, I would have went out and bought one. I value everyone's opinion which is the reason I posted my ideas on here in the first place. I have been reading books about the subject and talking to several different restoration experts, all of which recommended re-enforcing the doors as an added safety measure. I am not worried about getting hit while in the car if I was I wouldn't drive it. Besides, it is only money, they will print more next month. Now if this was an all original 429 car or something super special I would be going a different route since it is not, I intend to have some fun with it. Of course it will still be MY classic, regardless of what is under the hood.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cougarcj is right in the statement about classics. But that is for the fellow who wants a classic that is original. But that is not the real world or at least not the whole automotive world. Just watch a Barret Jackson or Mechum auctions. There are many nice modded and ultra radical build cars going for big money. SEMA is one of the largest auto events in the world and it isn't about restoration parts. Pro touring is a very popular style or genre of cars these days. Many pro touring take classic styling and put new technology to work on them. 40 year old anything is discarded and replaced with high tech. I am going to put a 5.0 fuelie with AEOD in a 55 Ford Victoria hardtop. All suspension will be equally updated. Some will say blasphemy. I say it is my car and will do what I want with it. I could go get a 20 something cobra or other bad ass Mustang, but anyone can go buy a car. To build one the way you want it and use a classic design as the starting point is what I want to do. Go for it AIRBORNECOUGAR and I look forward to seeing pics and write ups as you progress.
Thanks Brother, I feel the same way. Just because your car came with four wheel drums doesn't mean you have to keep it that way.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is going to be a driver I intend to drive this car from coast to coast and back again. Until either it dies, my bank account dies, or I die.

·
5,470 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knew of a write up that involved swapping in a modular engine into a 1967 or 1968 Cougar. I just wanted to see if was at all economical to do for my Cougar. Thanks in Advance
This is what I was going for in my original post (#7) in this thread. You made no mention of crating a pro-touring beast. Sure, if bucks, time, effort and ability are not limiting factors, go for it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts