Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make one WITHOUT the battery shelf setup? I plan on relocating the battery to the trunk and don't see a point in having a battery shelf with no battery on it. I thought about just using a left side piece and modifying it but it might look cheesy.

Any positive suggestions or links appreciated...

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The reproduction parts are made like the originals. We are not aware of anyone making those battery tray aprons without the shelf.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
This would have to be a hand made affair.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Well.... Since your early Cat doesn't have a radiator overflow reservoir, that might be a good place to put one... Or that would also be a good place for an aftermarket electronic ignition module like a factory DuraSpark or MSD...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I saw in a magazine (sorry, can't remember which one) where the owner of a Mustang (64 1/2-68, can't remember which year exactly) put a drivers side front fender apron (I would get a repro one) on the front passengers side. What the owner did about the top piece where the fender would bolt onto was cut the top piece at the seam and then rewelded the top piece on the opposite side of the fender apron. John

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input... I'm going with 68PUMA on this one. Should look decent enough (I hope) to pass my wife's approval since it will be her car until I put it up for sale later on.

If I cut out and install 69' shock towers (for the reinforcement and they look cleaner) on my 67' will it really make that much difference? It'll have a modified 1968 302 with cold air induction and C4. Thought about upgrading to a C6 with an adapter plate. I'll be beefing up the suspension for comfort and stability and adding a few things here and there. Should look quite "roomy" on the passenger side without the battery there.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
No need for an adapter plate for a C-6 since many 71-73 Cats/Mustangs with Clevelands (same bellhousing pattern) used them, also trucks/vans with 302/351Ws until the mid 80s. You might have to search a bit, but SBF C-6s are out there. Heck, I've even got two spares in the barn!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts