Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, another expensive question. Anybody installed a 32 valve cobra motor and 5 speed in a cougar. either a 67 or 70 and what headaches and modifications did you run into. Guy up my way selling engine, trans with all acc and electronics with 3200 miles and it got me thinking...(a bad thing)

Thanks in advance

Bruce

·
Registered
794 Posts
you need to do one of two things:

1. Cut out shock towers and install mustang II IFS

or

2. Cut about 1.5" off of each side of the shock towers and weld in reinforcement plates.

I was thinking of the same thing, but after running the numbers I decided on a 393W for the same price. Did I mention the 393 has about 130 more HP? Thats like a 32v 4.6 with a blower.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of the weight I could get off the front wheels. I was afraid I would have to cut the shock towers. As far as horsepower goes, I have a non stock 390 in the 67 and a very non stock 351C in the 70. Both in the horsepower neighborhood you mention. On top of the mods, he's not giving the drivetrain away. So, for now I'll keep what I have...Thanks CrazyCat, for the info..Besides, what would I do without fussy carbs,leaky headers,cold bog and all the non F.I. problems...lol..

Bruce

·
11,000 Posts
Just put an aluminum intake and heads on the 390. Then it weighs less than a stock 351W. Cost for Edelbrock FE heads = $1243 fully assembled with valves springs retainers etc. Edelbrock Performer RPM intake = $295. You will need to swap front springs to small block units so the car does not look like it has no engine in there! New springs = $100.

I did it to the green GTE. Huge difference.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Royce, that's something to think about. I love the big block power and that would certainly knock a few pounds of the front end. I'm not going to change anything for now.( too many other things going on) .But I like that idea. Thanks again....

Bruce

·
Registered
648 Posts
Royce - In your green GTE with the Edelbrock heads...what type of exhaust headers are you using? Cam specs?

I'd like to install those heads and the FPA headers with a cam upgrade this winter...

Ken

·
Registered
180 Posts
Bruce, I was thinking of doing the same thing. If you do attempt this let me know. I would be interested to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bruce, there is a resto shop in the dallas/fort worth area that is doing a supercharged mod motor and 6 speed from an 03 cobra in a 67 mustang. They're telephone # is 817 267 2667.

·
11,000 Posts
I am running Hooker Super Comp headers. Cam is Comp Cams 280H. I am running a Ford factory 427 Medium Riser 8V intake with '67 Shelby GT500 carbs, Ford P/N C3AF-9510-BJ (rear) and C3AF-9510-BK (front). It's been together since 1994 and is a great combination.

The engine was a brand new (NOS) 427 block. Everything inside it was brand new except the crankshaft which is a IU casting 428 CJ crank. The engine is therefore 448 cubic inches.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So many great ideas... Donations can be sent to.....jk..lol..lol

Bruce

·
Registered
209 Posts
That would be awesome to see a mod motor in a older Cougar. I definately want to see that. Sorry, can't help you, never even thought of it. That is one thing I would like to see before I die, hahah.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
1fatcat was putting a mod motor in his 69. I dont know if he finished it yet or not, last I heard the front suspension was totaly revamped and the electonics were a nightmare. I did see one in a 64 fairlane once so it can be done. mm

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Robin Jacques was building a mod motored 68 convertible cougar last I heard. That was a couple years ago.

If you want a mod motor with serious power and good internal geometry, try the Jaguar xkr engine with a roots supercharger from the factory. They have a benz 5 speed auto also. Very smooth and serious power.
The jag mill is the long term plan for my car.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
ricers

Leon has a good point.
If you want to get into the dohc v8 business, don't just look at ford. There are a lot of nice new 8s out there like the lexus that make serious hp and torque right out of the box. Then when a power adder is put on, you can see some serious gains.
I love the lexus v8 myself. And I definitely put it ahead of the Ford piece in terms of finished product. Good rod/stroke ratios, good piston material, good valve orientation, etc.
Leon, if you haven't solved your computer problem on the lexus, pm me. I just talked to a guy at hypertech (a computer/chip hot rod company here) and I may be on to something for you.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, I'm a Ford guy all the way. There won't ever be a toyota engine in my cat. The Jag has potential (still a ford product). But for the money that would cost, I could get a nice crate motor that would bolt up to my C6 with no headaches and still be "all ford"....

Bruce

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, imports are unfortunate, ford is the only way to go, some people may be ignorant and just cant see the superiority or they are too stubborn to accept what is truly the best...
Joe

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I've seen a Mach 1 with a mod motor. It had to have M2 suspension, and the inner fender were smooth, without any bumps at all.
The mod engine fit fine in that case.
And as for sticking with Ford stuff...to each his own. I'll take better technology any day. No matter who makes it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts