Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was in a local wrecking yard to burn out a right front frame rail from a 67 cougar,to repair a 68 mustang I'm doing some work on over the winter.Please understand guys....this car is beyond restoration,or I would'nt have hacked on it.(however it does have a decent dr. door if anyone needs it) Anyway,I had knew that these cars shared the same front structure sheet metal as the mustang ,but I was shocked to find out that this particular car had no front torque boxes,on either side behind the front tires,nor did it ever have them,or I would have been able to tell where they were.I am aware that 68 Cougars and 67/68 Mustangs have front torque boxes. Was this something that was a one year only thing that Ford/Mercury did,by not installing front torque boxes in the 67 cougars,or did I happen to find something that was missed by the assembly line worker who installed torque boxes??? Just seemed odd to me I guess.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
67 does not have the front PS torque box by design. The DS should be there.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I was surprised at this too even though I am a long time Mustang guy. When I was looking at my cougar to buy it and saw it wasn't there I could believe that a piece could rust away so completely! Then I got educated on the situation. I have added this to my 67 as part of the rebuild.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think his question is more toward the driverside torque box and not so much the pass side. Is it possible it was missed being built??

·
11,000 Posts
No. They often rust completely away if the car was driven in a salty environment.

I think his question is more toward the driverside torque box and not so much the pass side. Is it possible it was missed being built??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts