Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe because in pretty new here i wont know the answer to this question already, but here it ges anyway. What happened to the Boss 429 Cougars???? I saw a pic of one in a book once, but it was a drag car with a 70 font clip. but i have no idea about the other one. Are they stil around?? or have they gone to the great crusher?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
There was never a boss 429 cougar ever offered to the public. As I understand it there were two cougars sent to Car Kraft ( the place where the boss 429 mustangs were created)for the instalation of the Boss 429 engines. They would have to be worth a fortune today. mm

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dyno Don: 429 car was a dog!

According to Kevin Marti, in his book "Cougar...by the numbers", L-M produced two 1968 Boss 429 Cougars (via Car Kraft). Beyond that, it is known that one went to Eddie Schartman and the other went to Dyno Don Nicholson--two pro drag racers who were campaigning Cougars at the time.

In a recent interview with Royce Peterson (see TCCN's TCP magazine Feature Archive), Dyno Don said the 429 car he got was a dog, so they replaced the engine with a 427. I'm on the road, so I don't have my library handy, but it seems to me that one of the 429 Cats was found several years ago. I don't remember whether a restoration was undertaken or not.

Mark, you're absolutely right about these cars being worth a fortune. Another of Dyno Don's Cougars, the 1969 Super Cat Coca Cola Thurst Eliminator, was recently restored and is currently for sale (See TCCN's TCP magazine Feature Archive). The asking price? $200,000! I told 'em I'd take two.

Keep on Cattin'

Steve

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super Cat?? is that the one that Car Craft gave away in 70? ( i think ) i saw some pics of it when it was all rusted out and hooptafied ( well, its a real word to me) .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Super Cat

Yup, that's the one. Car Craft and Coke were joint sponsors of the "sweepstakes." The history of the car after it was given away is interesting and typically Cougar.

One of TCCN's subscribers found the car by accident in the back lot of the restorer's shop. From then on, he made regular trips back to the shop so we were able to get a photo history of the car's restoration.

I'm not overly impressed with the current owner--a broker in the mid-west. He had some things to say about Don Nicholson that simply aren't true. If there's any justice in the world, the guy will be stuck with his $200,000 restoration for all eternity. :mad:

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
406 Posts
Re: Super Cat

Steve Eitzen said:
If there's any justice in the world, the guy will be stuck with his $200,000 restoration for all eternity.
hehe amen to that. - Chad

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ed Meyers has most of Dyno Don's Boss 429 Cougar. He told me he plans to restore it someday. OH WELL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts