Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I've done it. It's not a good idea. It will twist axles + puts a bind on EVERYTHING! Use a good Posi, if for some reason you think thats not good enough get a ratcheting locker differential assy. They lock like a spool on acceleration but slip on turns (make a little noise though). Spools are hard on alot of parts..
Scott

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll second that post. You can run it on the street but it puts a great strain on the rest of the rear parts. I would get a traction lock or locker and save yourself some major headaches down the road.

Kirk

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I've always held the belief that spools are unsafe on the street.

I agree with itow and Fastcat plus one more thing. Spools don't allow the rear wheels to turn at different speeds while going around corners like a posi or a locker. The car will become a real handful if the pavement gets wet. Even on dry pavement, a spool will cause the inner wheel to "chirp" around a corner.

Mark

·
11,000 Posts
Those guys who tell you yes....are they in jail a lot? Do they have insurance on their cars? Parents have a tow truck?

Spools are no good for anything except race cars.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I agree
the mini spools are not recommended for street use.Ihad a full time locker in my 70 and i thought it was cool at 1st UNTIL i seen how badly my rear tires were wearing as fast as the wind changes directions.Amini spool is good for the track and not the street.As everyone said in here it puts a lot of strain on the rearend and its very aggravating when you go around corners and hear :CHIRP: :CHIRP: :CHIRP: :CHIRP: all the time. Iwent w/ a TORQ LINE limited slip differential and a 3rd member rebuild. And its alot better now then what it was before the spool.Iended up giving away the spool cause of the cost it costed me to use it. (NEW rear tires, NEW rebuild of the 3rd member, Used 31 spline axles and so forth, total for what it costed me for this was around 1200.00 and i am not joking there.
thanks
pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts