Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does 12.6 miles per gallon sound about right?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope I worked it out right, converting all those figures, I get 5.3kms per litre, dividing 5.3 by 1.6 = 3.33. Litres to gallon = 3.784, so I am right in 3.33 X 3.783 = 12.59, my brain has gone to mush.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"LFD "
:D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Are we talking about 302, 351, 390, 428? These numbers seem to roughly match my 302.... (12 ave, 8 on LFD)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My cat's mileage

My first Cougar was a 72 Standard, waaaaay back in 1976. I was more concerned with it getting me back and forth to Ohio State than anything else, so it stayed bone stock -- 351C-2V. With the 2.75 or 3.00 rear gears it had, I was getting somewhere near 18.5mpg on the highway. I didn't think that was all that good since we had a bunch of full size GMs (Olds Delta Customs) with 455s that got about the same mileage or better. I was never able to get the darned thing tuned up properly until just before I sold it. Oh, then it would light up the right rear tire :rolleyes: .

AlphaCat only got about 12mpg, but that was when it was still the old tired engine. I don't know what it will get now....

BetaCat was good for around 16mpg with the 3.25 gears, but that dropped to 14 with the 3.70s.

YMMV

Milo

P.S. When I get AlphaCat back on the road I think the more appropriate term I'll be concerned about is not miles per gallon but miles per set of rear tires. I have 18 years of pent up LFD that I need to get rid of! Muahahahaha :D

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
woo hoo

My stock 289 with cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds and holley 600cfm gets 17mpg on the freeway :lolani:
oh yeah and it runs the 1/4 in 18.1 :p: J/K I have no idea what it runs..

·
Registered
648 Posts
That's the thing about a big block:

If you have to ask...you can't afford it :)

Same holds true for insurance on your Porsche...

Ken

390 - 10 mpg hwy, 8 LFD

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thats about right

I get around 8-390ci-C-6auto-4:11re

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i get one tank before i have to fill up again.:D then i use that tank and fill once again. milage whats that? If i figured out what all my v8s used in gas i would probably go nuts best just to do as i said tanks low fill and forget.:D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
milage?

Don't think of it as milage.
Think of it as what you save in green fees. (I'm always to busy to go to the driving range, and spend my Extra money on my projects.)Lots and lots of laughs...:xoli:

S-Code Fuel Monster

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Is there any other way to drive than LFD????

Don

·
Registered
61 Posts
Big is Bad

I Have a 429 PI witha C6 and don’t get much gas milages :cry: but plenty of fun:p: I went on vacation to my neighbourhood country Finland this summer , it´s a trip for about 200 miles and i got about 10-12 miles per gallon:1zhelp:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah,

even my 289 2v was getting 15ish fwy, and 9 around town...

of course, everytime I stopped at a red light, I thought it was a staging light and when it was green... VrooooMMM!!!

Now, on the 5.0 in the mustang, it's like 25hwy... haven't really checked the local mileage... but, there's still a lot of those staging lights all over town... :)

Robert

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
69 351w with 2.75 rear, 4spd, 600 CFM with no lead footing 15 mpg commuting, 22mpg constant @ 70mph. It got 8-9 mpg with 3.90 gears. It is running a little lean but gets better mpg than 66 289 did in past.

The engine is fresh, carb rebuilt as well as distributer. I don't think it could do much better.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
of course, everytime I stopped at a red light, I thought it was a staging light and when it was green... VrooooMMM!!!
My first good laugh for the day, and its already after 10pm at night. Must remember that one.

Greggieatthebat, its a 351C 2V,Edelbrock Performer, 4Barrel Holley, dual exhaust, FMX,have no idea what rear its got, or diff, or whatever they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Why does everyone call them "secondaries"? Mine are ALL primary - primarily open... :D after the staging lights, of course! :ylsup:
Incidentally, this is the second most visible symptom of full-blown LFD, first being bald passenger side tire...unless you're lucky enough to have a Locker.... hey, maybe my bad passenger side axle seal is related to my bald passenger side tire.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts