Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure out how many miles are on my 72' cougar currently it says a little over 15,000 but im pretty certain that the dials rolled over

So im hoping someone would know at one point would it roll over maybe at 100,000 miles or something , im not sure

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
99.999.9 my 68 currently shows 25.100 something and sure it's been around once,twice or more. I figure the car is 42 years old and on average 10k a year mileage would be some 420.000 miles. But it still has the original driveline. Been rebuilt a few times.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was that , but that is also my problem as well is its hard to determine the exact mileage on the car , i mean it could have 215,000 miles on the car or more

Is there really anyway to find out how old the mileage could be

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
How original is the car? Paint, interior, drivetrain etc..... would all show wear clues that might help you decide. If it's all been restored and redone with lots of parts replaced it's hard to tell.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
It's even harder if the speedo quit before you go a hold of it like me.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Wear and tear + rust is going to be your best guage.....if it was garage kept all of it's life, then you have to look at mechanicals like wheel bearings/drum wear/etc..... look at areas where the paint/coverage was very poor from the factory and likely to rust quickly - cowl, lower rockers, inner fenders, bottom of door crimps, trunk drop offs.....

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Do you by chance have any of the vehicle safety inspection cards? Copies of the title may show mileage?? I got lucky. When I bought my car it came with many years of vehicle safety inspection cards (south Carolina), each one of them showed the mileage! So I can vouch the original mileage is 69 thousand!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Harvey that is lucky you have that kind of documentation. The PO of my car had it on the road since 87 according to the CA title (pink slip). My guess it was purchased some time before, rebuilt, repainted and interior redone. The repaint was a scuff and shoot in blue over the Augusta green. Far as I can tell it had one repaint in green before the blue. Much of the trunk is still the original green. Interior has been done over in blue (was dark ivy gold) and seems some 67 parts like the dashpad and original 68 green vinyl parts dyed over in blue. Once I dig into it more hopefully I'll uncover better facts rather than guesses at this point. I bought it as a INOP project so didn't expect much but has been a very nice driver thus far.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i know i have some receipts from when the last owner had work done to the car , so i guess i can guesstimate the mileage from that point , but im not sure if it was rebuilt

Im trying to figure these things out because when i get to the time of selling the car i wouldnt know what to state for the current mileage , other then of course like rebuilding the engine and then i would know as of 2011 the engine had so many miles on it

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
A lot of states don't track/control mileage on cars >10 years old....so you may not have to worry about it if that's the case. OR there's a checkbox that shows mileage may not be actual....it still is nice to know if you can prove it out. Good luck

·
Registered
389 Posts
its not a big deal...old cars 99.999999 perecent of the time just state "not actual mileage" because everyone knows its going to be rolled over at least once. kinda acting like this is your first car to try to sell or something...:) don't sweat it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes this is my first old car and im in the process of restoring it , but i figure ill have some fun with it and then just sell it and work on the next project

its so much easier with newer cars cause even if the mileage is bad its still got a computer that you can find out the mileage

1 - 12 of 12 Posts