Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally posted this over in "Tech" and realized that it really wasnt in the right place so I will repost it here.

How well will a flux core wire fed non mig welder work on bodywork? I have a co-worker that has offered to give me an old no name non mig welder. I know, it's not costing me but is it the "right tool" for the job? I don't plan on welding anything big, just bodywork and my yet to purchased exhaust so that's not an issue. I understand that I can weld stainless with a mig welder.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You mean it's a stick welder? What voltage and what amperage does it need? Do you have the plug to support it? Stick welders are very good for heavy materials like frame work etc....Typically for body work a mig is nice for the lighter/thinner materials. You can use flux core wire in your mig rather than use the gas bottle, but your welds are not as clean as with gas. That's the only difference. Migs are small, light, and convenient to drag around and many will run off of a 15 or 20 amp standard 120v outlet. the cheaper no name brand ones usually don't have as good of components in them and have less run time than a name brand one. I have a cheapy HF one and it does 80% of what I need it for just fine. I use both gas and flux core in it. (Not all migs are gas/gasless)

Mike

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is an OLD non gas wire welder. I talked to him and he doesnt think i can get the heat down low enough to weld the thinner stuff. He is a certified welder here in the shipyard and he is really smart with that stuff. So im gonna get a decent MIG welder :lolani:. Lincoln or Miller w/ miller being the preferred. It always nice to be able to get some new toys!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Always remember - A guy with the most toys wins!! ;>0

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would go with a mig set up burning either C02, or Argon as your flux. You can dial them in real good with the heat range and they splatter way less than stick and flux coated wire.

They also grind easily too and you can coat your welded areas ahead of time with a weld-thru primer.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm, weld thru primer? I will have to look into that one.

Im kinda excited because I lova a challenge. Why Challenge is my middle name!.......No i did not say "Challenged".......although that is sometime the case!

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Don't forget to flip the leads polarity around when you switch from gas to flux wire though.....I always forget that! Also, don't forget to turn off the gas when your done - I have lost 2 tanks that were new/full because mine leaks a bit somewhere...? Enjoy!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about forgetting to turn off the tank yesterday. That is definately something I would do. I am so forgetfull. Always have been and it is sooooo frustrating. Really aggravating for my wife to but then again everything i do aggravates her! lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
ALSO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! DC VOLTAGE SYSTEMS DO NOT LIKE OTHER DC VOLTAGE SYSTEMS TO GROUND!

Don't ask me how I know this,,,,

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Leftover flux is a b!tch if painted over.... It'll bubble up in a couple of months. Ask me how I know... I no longer braze with flux-coated rods or weld with a flux welder. Argon MIG only for me, thankyouverymuch!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts