Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics of my 68 standard, in progress from becoming a drag car. Note roll cage. I think I'll leave it, I have a great interior guy to modify the front corners of the back seat and the tops of the interior quarter trim panels. It's low enough to fit under the headliner, too. (I think) It's a 302, 0.040" over, 289 heads, 2.02" Intake valves, 1.60" exhaust, 0.560"/0.560" lift cam, 294 duration. Has a low rise, single plane intake, 780 cfm carb, etc..., etc... It is presently not very civilian for on-road use, coupled with the fact I live in a town of 1800 in Iowa, and I'm surprised my picture isn't up in the post office.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last one

Here's one of the roll bar, not too intrusive, but kinda cool enough to keep in a mod/driver. I need to get it quieted down, and the carpet/ sound deadening mat and seats put in. Me, my wife and two boys (4yrs and 8 1/2 yrs) will be using for a cruiser here around Iowa. There's lots of small town cruises around here, and virtually no Cougars that I know of, so it should be an attention getter. Any advice on interior/ sound deadening would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
NICE! :D

I didn't notice any exhaust tips, are they tucked under the car?

I'm really starting to like those hood scoops too, is it functional? ( I think I'll get one someday!)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exhaust tips

The exhaust tips are presently glass pacs (with no 'glass left) that are bolted up to the back of the headers. I told you I needed to get it quieted down. I'm leaning towards an X-pipe behind the headers, 3" in, 2 1/2" out, into some flowmaster mufflers, and on out the back. Where do I get those cool chrome pieces that go into the rear valence?? The hood scoop is a Ford unit, I believe it's an eliminator, and yes, it's functional.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
as far as sound deadening, im not sure what you are going for. for a driver i would just use stock mustang sound deadening as its smaller and would weigh less in a drag car. id put in stock carpet and leave it at that. there are lots of options, but its all your choice.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
On wvcat I used commercial carpet padding.Not the tiger hair type stuff, its kind of like a foam center with a layer of dense cloth/nylon type covering on both sides. This is very durable stuff!!! You could also use something like dyna mat (summit sells it) thats made for sound/heat shielding=expensive. I'm not sure of any other options except factory sound deadener.
John

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice

Nice cat, as far as sound deadning for street or strip i recomend dynomat. The stuff is light weight and very quiet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Rest

I guess I left out the C4, 3500 stall TCI converter, B&M shift kit, and 4.10 9" posi rear, ladder bars, subframe connectors, etc... Makes for a very stiff ride, lots of vibration too. Is big vibration normal with a ladder bar setup?? The only other thing would be to have the drive shaft balanced, seems OK up to say 60 mph or so, definitely a function of speed and not rpm's as it doesn't do it in the lower gears.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts