Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that Mickey Thompson produced a number of special Eliminators in 1970.
Is anyone able to advise if this is true or false.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy tells me that there were only 27 to 30 made, his was originally sold by Pascal - Dilday of San Diego. The vehical has a high performance 351 with M/T rocker covers, a 8000 RPM tacho, heavy clutch springs, rear air adjustable shocks, traction bars and a larger than normal air scoop.

Interesting.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I also have never heard of them. The door tag information would be interesting.

·
11,000 Posts
Buy the car, not the story. The story is worthless without documentation. Even with documentation it would add little to the value of the car.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
It could be a local dealer only type promotion; there's nothing in the production records as far as I know that indicates anything about MT.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Mecum is about to auction a MT Camaro that they are hyping it up in the commercial.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah never heard of it buddy, i know that M/T made valve covers for the old BB chevy, just sold a pair at the car show, but probably not a merc item, so the odds of putting it in one or special edition M/T car per say are slim to none.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Mickey was elbow deep in Ford's performance in this period, though with Mustangs. It would seem both plausible and implausible that he would distract from Mustang to bother with Mercury stuff, even as the cleveland made its debut and Mercury was working hard to get press for the 69/70 models as performance cars.
Basically, you would need to either hire a historian to research and document the car properly, or you'd have to make that your new hobby. It's possible, but hard to say if anyone even cares about Mickey anymore as he fades into obscurity in the shadow of media opportunists like $helby. Not to minimize Thompson at all, but realistically, he's less relevant and becoming more obscure every day. Hard to translate that into value in this modern buzzword twitter culture.

Like Royce says, buy the car and not the story unless the story is documented or can be documented properly by someone with a decent reputation and some research acumen and not just some car show shlub who wants it to be true.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with the others -- buy the car, not the story, as Royce says. (I have heard a few doozies, as I'm sure we all have!) But it is always neat to see information about documented special edition cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys,
Your comments reflected my research however the older gent was adamant and I just had to see if there may have been a glimmer of fact to the story. I ended up buying it based on it appearing to be an Eliminator and its on its way down under. Its going to need a fair bit of work bringing it back to concource condition however it all appears to be there and original (I hope).
I have just received a Marti report confirming it to be a Eliminator, competition gold, 4 speed wide ratio, 351 - 4V.
I will post some photos once I work out how to do it.
Norm.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'd bet it simply has M/T valve covers and the rest of the story was fabricated.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I'd bet it simply has M/T valve covers and the rest of the story was fabricated.
Agreed. We all hear a lot of BS regarding cars for sale or on display at cruises and shows from owners who really should know better.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If all it takes is valve covers then I have a rare A code 67 Mickey Thompson edition. Congrats on getting yourself an Eliminator!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Congrats indeed on the Eliminator! posting pictures isn't hard, but it is easier to post a lot of pics, if you have a website like 'photo bucket' or similar. See the link in my sig, as an example.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Not only did the M/T Cougar come with special valve covers, but also came equipped with M/T N-50 x 15 tires and a gas turbine engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Photos of the Eliminator as promised.

Thanks to all those who provided a positive feed back, its appreciated.

Norm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts