Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the carb off the 70 Cougar yesterday and noticed one of the rods was slightly bent in two places. the carb hasn't been off the car since it was installed in 1999. there are valve issues that need to be addressed, but i took it apart because suddenly the other day the car would not idle. i kept it going with two feet (automatic), but the performance was off as well. by the time i got home, it was idling on its own just fine.

so the question is how important is it that the metering rod is slightly bent? and how often do you guys normally rebuild the carb or at least dip it and clean it out? thanks-

billy

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Kinda depends on how much you drive the car and the quality of the fuel you burn....maybe you got a vac leak somewhere instead? If the carbs never been rebuilt it's way overdue. You should be able to go 5-6 years easy on a DD car without needing much. Once there is build up in the tank of rust/crud, you need to address that first though. See how much junk you can dump outta the filter and use that as a guide. First thing is to see if you have a vac leak and then try to get it running as good as you can....then start rebuilding if all else fails.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The metering rod should not effect idle, since that is the idle circuit, and the metering rods effect the power, part throttle and power full throttle circuits. Sounds like you got some dirt or something in the jet, and it cleared out, since the idle returned. vacuum leaks usually do not fix themselves. A slightly bent metering rod would have little effect on running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts