Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 69 XR7 earlier this year, it came with 14" Cragar SS wheels and older Goodyear 205-75 Tiempo tires. Okay, but not the look I am going for. So, over the months, I shopped all over looking for a set of original styled steel wheels and stainless trim rings and dog dish hubcaps.

Several ebay purchases later, I have a complete, refurbished set. The wheels are from a 69 Mach 1 and were pretty rough. I sanded them down to bare metal, primed and painted. Backs are black, fronts are silver with a couple coats of clear. The stainless trim rings and hubcaps took a LOT of elbow grease, a whole stick of SS compound and several polishing wheels to shine up, but they came out very nice.

For tires, I wanted a more traditional, old school 60's look. Coker tires were just too much money. I like the BFG RWL tires, but it seems like everybody has them. A little more research and I settled on these Cooper Cobra GT 225-70 14" tires from Discount Tire. Nice classic look, good tread pattern, and about 2" wider than the old Tiempo tires!

The best part is that my total spend for tires, wheels, and everything came to less than $800.

Sorry for the poor picture quality. I'll send some better pics of them on the car when it is finished and shined up. Soon, I hope!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Very Nice.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
A man who can milk a Nickle! I I admire that _ nice wheels. I am a fan of the BFG tires even though the Cooper distributor is right near my place. I had their truck tires and thought they were decent

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Those are really sharp! Really nice job restoring them. I want the same rims for mine someday.

·
Registered
389 Posts
looks very nice. I love the "correct" looking wheels and tires on these cars...the low pro 17+ just look horrible on classic muscle...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
GREAT job indeed!! (but I would have gone blackwall...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts