Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 is getting ready for a rebuild, (as we all know) shortly after it gets out of paint, hopefully either today, or tomorrow!
I have an air gap intake already, and it is so tall that I HAVE to have an open hood scoop.
Which, I do. The problem is that I also have an oval "cougar" air cleaner, and the air gap won't let me use it, with out cutting MUCH more of the hood.
I don't want a 'flat' 4V though either. What do you all think is a good balance between the two?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The old "Muscle Parts" C90X casting aluminum Windsor intake, if you can find one. Otherwise, a Weiand Stealth.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Stealth should work, or the standard (non-AirGap) Performer RPM. Air Gap is over an inch taller than the standard RPM, or even Torker (if you like single plane). Stay Away from the cheap Chinese clone intakes - the core shift on my Summit 'Stage 2' was terrible!!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I vote for the Stealth - been a good intake for me. keep in mind your dizzy may not clear certain intakes without going to a taller one.....don't let that mistake bite you

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I vote for the Stealth - been a good intake for me. keep in mind your dizzy may not clear certain intakes without going to a taller one.....don't let that mistake bite you
^^^what he said!^^^ Now that he mentioned that, the cheap Summit intake needed to be 'clearanced' a bit for the distributor cap hold-down clip - and I had to grind part of the lower clip pivot boss too!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll start looking for one when I get back from NY..I have an MSD in the 69 already, and the air gap fit that with no problems!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Stealth should work, or the standard (non-AirGap) Performer RPM. Air Gap is over an inch taller than the standard RPM, or even Torker (if you like single plane). Stay Away from the cheap Chinese clone intakes - the core shift on my Summit 'Stage 2' was terrible!!!
I have chinese intake that is machined so crooked that it won't even fit between the heads in the back. The stealth is a nice intake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts