Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking on how the headlight doors could be converted to a mechanical operating system on a 69-70? Anyone got any ideas? Was thinking maybe a cable pull setup but coming up blank on how to keep it unobtruse inside the car.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
umm, why not run some Nissan/ Toyota Ebrake handles tp raise and lower them while keeping the springs on the doors themselves intact? the e-brake handles are ratchetlike and hand operated so they will stay in the up position and it will allow you to lower them as well with the tension from the springs on the doors. not sure exactly HOW id get it to work but im just tossing an idea out. if you dont have a console you might be able to run something in the ash tray area or teh heater control area. just a thought.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey 6t7, that's a great idea! And for a change something found on the scrapheap around here quite often!
Thanks!

Cheers,
Matthijs

·
11,000 Posts
The TCCN has an archived article on Bruce Habel's '69 which he converted to electric operation headlight doors. If you have access it looks simple.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Great idea. I have a parts car to experiment with.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The electric motors sounds like an idea, but the setup on the 67 looks like too much bs to me. Maybe a electiric power antenna motor?? At least with a 69 you only need one.

Actually since I plan on not haveing a console the floor mounted emergency brake dosent sound like a bad idea. Could actually use the floor mounted one for the brakes and the original foot operated one for the light covers.

Royce, had intentions of signing up with the site but you know how sometimes you just never got around to it? Anyway with it closing I figured theres no use now. mm

·
Registered
428 Posts
How about these flipflop headlight motors of 3rd gen firebirds?
They can be operated by hand in case of failure.
And I can't imagine them to be difficult to hook up being GM and all ;-)

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
We use all kinds of actuators where I work, just need one that will mount where the vac.motor is and has the same travel, maybe mount inside a gutted vac.motor, a relay and a few limit switches should do it. lets see what i can find out.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bowl, looks to me like the arm on the cross shaft would be easy enough to shorten or lengthen to help get the travel right , or even a bell crank??mm

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If it's inside the canister, then system would look close to original. The dual switch maybe neccessary though. The light switch gives power that could trigger the up on covers but simply cuts off when turned off thus no new current to close doors.

I think a trip to wrecking yard to look at a couple of steups is in order.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree Swamper and as soon as this back quits hurting so bad I'm going junk yarding. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i have the directions and plans from TCCN saved on my computer for the probe headlight mod. Hope on not stepping on any toes here and if i am steve forgive me im not meaning to thats why i am not posting them, but if you are interested email me and i can send you the plans courtesy of bruce habel who did the mod in the begining of TCP. i am only doing this since TCCN is taking no new subscriptions and it will not be available to many of the newer members who have just recently joined this site.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i'll try to post some pics of the electric conversion i did on my 69. it's based on the conversion by bruce habel. i don't think it could be made to fit 67/68, even if you do use two motors. BTW it's not to difficult to make the conversion on 69/70s and it's well worth the effort (especially if you have a plasma cutter)

·
Registered
794 Posts
the 67-68 style would not be as hard as it looks to convert to the electric motors. I will be purchasing 2 linear actuator from
Select products
http://www.selectproducts.com/frameindex.htm

to do the conversion. They are a bit pricey at 195 each.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CrazyCat, That looks like the ticket and would be easy to set up on a 69. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
this is Completely off topic.. but AUSTIN... good news here.. just pulled the rear end out of the 70 today... let me know when you want to come by and take it to meet the 67 he he...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I was also thinking of a servo and arm with the stock linkage.
similar in function to my rc airplane linkage but a much bigger servo. first i am going to modify a small window motor to act as a servo first. I want to keep the cost as low as possible. junk yard stuff.
Also want to keep the stock appearance. one of my goals is to keep it all inside the vac.motor housing. with just a wire coming out of it instead of a hose.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts