Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an intermittent annoying knock sound on the 351W. the stethoscope picks it up in several places, but it is most prevalent at the fuel pump. is there any way to isolate the pump and/or determine the source of the sound?

·
11,000 Posts
Sure, remove the pump. The engine will run for about a minute at idle with no fuel pump.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, remove the pump. The engine will run for about a minute at idle with no fuel pump.
good idea Royce. will there be a lot of oil coming out of the hole when the pump is off? will the pump begin to make this kind of sound as it gets older? the fuel lines have some amount of play. is it necessary/preferred to remove the fuel lines? thanks-

billy

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I would think you just remove the pump, leave lines attached, it AIN'T going to pump if NOT ATTACHED. Maybe put a rag where the pump mounted You are ONLY going to run the engine for a few seconds. IMO.

Dale in Indy

P.S. Are you thinking LOSE lines might have been BUMPING EACH OTHER, causing the noise?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think you just remove the pump, leave lines attached, it AIN'T going to pump if NOT ATTACHED. Maybe put a rag where the pump mounted You are ONLY going to run the engine for a few seconds. IMO.

Dale in Indy

P.S. Are you thinking LOSE lines might have been BUMPING EACH OTHER, causing the noise?
no, just trying to minimize work. if the lines don't need to come off, just remove the two bolts that attach the pump to the block and pull it out. actually, i am HOPEFUL the noise is just the pump wearing out. otherwise it might be connecting rod bearing or main bearing wear. that would be a bummer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts