Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies/Gents,

Can anyone tell me what device is used to measure the vacuum in the engine's vacuum system and where to purchase (or rent?) one? Also, can anyone share the best method by which to use the vacuum measuring device?

Thanks,

DCL

·
Registered
913 Posts
You can buy a vacuum gauge from most auto parts stores, they are not expensive. You can hook them to any vacuum port on the intake manifold to check vacuum.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
What is it that you aer trying to accomplish? Engine tuning? Carb adjustments?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, sir. Both the engine and the carburetor have been rebuilt, but the idle is still a little rough. I'm told the vacuum level plays a part in the overall operation of the engine and would like to test it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
first you want to check that you don't have any vac leaks - then try tuning it up. You can use a can of carb cleaner and spray it around areas prone to leaks like carb base/intake joints/vac lines/etc. If it suck some in you will hear it stumble. ANohter thing you could do is cap off all that vacuum connections until you get it running smooth.....then find the leaks

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
A vacuum guage, and a tachometer are 'must have's" when dealing with these old cars. Do you know where your initial timing is set at? When the engine was rebuilt, was it just freshened up tp stock specs, or did you add some performance items? How rough is rough? You could also have a spark plug that isn't properly gapped, or maybe a plug wire that is just a tiny bit loose.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Can you use the same type of vacuum gauge to test things like your headlight motors? with all I am doing to my car I hate to gamble but I believe mine are still good, or at least for now? Can you check the vacuum canister with these too?

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
If the vacuum pump doesn't have a gauge, you will still need one!
Yes, the vacuum pumps used for testing components do have gauges, but I wouldn't use it to measure engine vacuum (although, I guess you could....).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts