Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah me want leaf springs. but where do i find some for my 69 351 car??? i have cash burning a hole in my pocket. me want. oh yeah, if i can get some 1" drop ones that would rock. i dont want a stinkbug stance going on, just a little bit of a rake. i got 1" drop coils in the front when i had that rebuilt recently so id would the stock ones make it look funny?? dont want the ratty Chevy sky high rear end look thing going on at all. ugh

·
Registered
519 Posts
http://www.espo.com/

Just under $300 with shipping for the full meal deal, Springs, new hardware and poly bushings.

You can spend much less if you don't replace your hardware and/or get rubber bushings.

Delivery time was two weeks on the money! :D

·
Registered
544 Posts
I strongly reccomend that you use a local spring shop, and let them know the height you want. I did my leafs twice to get the height I wanted. I know others with similar experiences. It didn't seem to matter who they were purchased from.

Steve

·
Registered
519 Posts
Using poly bushings adds agony of this seemingly simple swap.

Everything went smooth as silk until I got to shackles on the installation of the new springs. I just spent a day and a half installing ONE spring and most of that time was spent wrestling with the poly bushings and the shackles, those things are snug to put it mildly. Having a second person helping was an absolute neccessity in my case.

I sure hope it was worth it! :D

I'm going to drop it off at the shop in the morning and have them install the other side, i'm too beat!

FYI, it looks like I gained about 2 inches of lift with these "stock" replacements from espo. :eek2:
Actually it's not bad looking but we'll see how it looks after they settle and the new springs are mounted in the front.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
poly?

what is the advantage of poly bushings?
I have never been told just exactly why those are so popular.
I do know that they are not easy to work with and they seem to wear out just as quickly as the standard "rubber" types...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Poly?

It could be the ones I have seen eaten up had been used severly.
I just never stopped to think about it...:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
You had your front suspension rebuilt?

What all did you do? Did you get it done at a shop? How much was it?

I need to get my car's suspension tightened up, it's feeling a bit floaty.

Oh, and everything I've ever read said replacing the leafs is suck. I think that's the job I've seen the most horror stories about.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Evilmess is right, the poly bushing are a PITA, but I like them. To intall the bushings in the springs I used a long bolt and two big washers and a nut, I sandwiched the bushings and pulled them into the eye of the spring with the nut at the same time. To get the shackels in the "snug" bushings I used a really really big set of channel locks and just squeezed them into place. Took way longer to acomplish than I wanted it to , but it was well worth it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Curious, should the frame ends and shackle ends be tightend down when the car is hanging in the air or back on the ground?

It would seem that if the car is on the stands (stand on the frame) with the axle and springs hanging freely that tightening the spring ends would preload those bad boys and give it a more raised stance.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i had my front end rebuilt. i took it to a shop and they replaced the upper control arms, the lowers, the ball joints, got new drop springs, KYB shocks, all new bushings, perches for the springs bump stops strut rods and they had to replace an adjustment thing for the camber. they said it was stripped. they werent cheap, but they do a hell of a lot of Mustangs and Cougars there so i knew they would know what they were doing. total price?? $1,0034.00 not cheap at all, but with stock springs and shocks, it would be a bit less. i figured that if i was going to get it all done, i might as well get it done how i want ya know? besides, the shop had the car in and out in a day. i cant complain. now for the leafs......

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
evilmess said:
Curious, should the frame ends and shackle ends be tightend down when the car is hanging in the air or back on the ground?

It would seem that if the car is on the stands (stand on the frame) with the axle and springs hanging freely that tightening the spring ends would preload those bad boys and give it a more raised stance.
The fronts not a real concern cuz of the inner metal tube, but the shakles should be tightened when its on the ground :)

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
MunchE said:

Oh, and everything I've ever read said replacing the leafs is suck. I think that's the job I've seen the most horror stories about.
replacing leaf springs isnt a big deal if you have all the proper tools. I worked in a spring shop and we usually did 5 vehilces on a good day ( taking them off, re-arching, installing) so it really helps with the proper tools. Compressor, torch, and alot of muscle ;) We installed new hardware so we didnt care about torching off the bolts (which is a good idea anyways, 30 someodd year old bolts arent in the best of condition). remember to use good quality jack stands, and if you dont torch off the bolts, to soak them with WD-40 or penetrating oil for a few days first, it will save you alot of headaches when the time comes.
Jack stands under the rear frame, and under the axle, take off the axle u-bolts, undo the front spring bolts, then shackle bolts, and then reverse the operation for install. Hope thats clear.
Remember to tighten the shakle bolts when the car is on the ground, or you can risk the chance of breaking your springs, and recheck ALL bolts a week or so after.

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts