Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in a part of town I haven't been to for about three years. At a car repair shop, the same three Cougars, a 68 four-speed, 69 XR7 coupe and a 1970 standard convertible sit, melting into the ground. Made another offer, but he still won't sell them. Another year and there will be nothing left to part out.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, it's a sad story retold year in and year out - some day I'm gonna get to it - yada yada....I can name about 10 that I know of. One of which is a GTO judge sitting there for over 12 years! MR Wasgonna so far is a nevergonna <sigh>

·
Registered
508 Posts
About twenty-five years ago I spotted a '66 Chevelle SS 396 in a residential yard. I inquired with the homeowner and made a fair offer considering at this point it was in overgrowth and sunk down to the pan, windows all open ect... I was told that it was to be a Father/Son project,....and was not for sale. Approx. eight years ago I noticed it was still in the yard,....but now it had a tree growing all through it,.....Guess he was working on a Grandfather/Grandchildren tree house now.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Sometimes the dream is all that some people have left in their lives.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These cars are not special in any way, but they do have good parts that could benefit other more fortunate members of the breed. It's just depressing to watch a car melt.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I had a similar situation with the 69 Mustang I bought. It took me a year to wrestle it free. What did it was I convinced her I was the one to bring the car back to life. I brought over pictures of all the cars I put together along with a cost estimate of how much it would cost for her to have it restored. A year later she realized she would never come up with enough money to restore it and I would treat the car right...Of course the car is being worked on it is a big project because I am trying to do it right since I may end up keeping it. I seem to have while I'm here I might as well which is ending up with me completely disassembling the car....which is usually a recipe for disaster but I will get this one done, someday...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yeah, I'm chasing 2 1969 Cougar XR7 convertibles now, both with the same story, and have been sitting around for 10+ years. One is a 351W-4V, and 4 speed. The other is a 390-4V 4 speed car, both are really cool Cougars! I've made really good offers to buy them both, but the owners are just not ready to sell. The 351W is stored indoors at least, although it belongs to a lady that is a cat horder, and probably has 20+ cats, which live in the same garage! Talk about smell, I couldn't hardly stand a few minutes to be in the garage to look at the convertible last time I was there. Yuck. The 390 car is in another state, outdoors, and it sees a fair share of rain. No doubt that the floors are gone, and it might not be fixable as more time passes!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smell or not, I'd take the garaged one first. Upholstery is easier to replace than metal, and costs less.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Randy,

Just think of it this way, the guy is saving you from getting involved with a few more cats? Unless of course it makes sense to you to do so, in which case I guess this doesn't help at all!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's no emotion on these ones. They are parts cars, plain and simple. But, the unmolested front grille trim of the 70 vert and clean black interior of the 69 XR7 would do somebody some good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts