Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
May be Selling The 67 ... NADA Values

Well, I might be looking to sell the 67.

I haven't been around the forum very often for the last 5 or so years due to building a new house and doing most of the work myself. Part of the deal...I thought...was that the new house was going to bring a new garage that I could use to work on the cougar. Well, things have a funny way of changing and the garage is nothing more than a dream now. I'm 3.5 years from retirement (actually 3 years, 3 months and 11
days :jump3:) and my health and patience isn't what it used to be.

It seems that painting the car, finishing the spare engine rebuild and doing the interior work is too much for me without a place to do it in. The cougar drives nice as is (if you don't mind the blue exhaust color, crappy paint and the headliner rubbing the top of my head :uhoh:) but I can't give it the love that is needed.

I was looking at the NADA guide for a selling value. The numbers seem higher than usual so I've searched for old posts about NADA. I know that I won't be able to sell it for what NADA indicates but I was hoping for an amount. It says that the low value is over $12,000, so would I be in the ballpark selling it in the $8000 range? Has the market gone up?

I don't want to let the hobby go completely so I'll be looking at getting another ride that only needs small items to complete. Finding such a low-cost ride in my neck of the woods will be a challenge but there are some around. Some of you may want to cover your ears now but there's a nice 81 Z28 in my son's favorite color that is available that seems complete and at a decent price. I've always liked the second gen style of the camaro and will be looking into it.

Part of me doesn't want to sell her but the other part is trying to be realistic.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Re: May be Selling The 67 ... NADA Values

The cougar drives nice as is (if you don't mind the blue exhaust color, crappy paint and the headliner rubbing the top of my head :uhoh:) but I can't give it the love that is needed.

I was looking at the NADA guide for a selling value. The numbers seem higher than usual so I've searched for old posts about NADA. I know that I won't be able to sell it for what NADA indicates but I was hoping for an amount. It says that the low value is over $12,000, so would I be in the ballpark selling it in the $8000 range? Has the market gone up?
IMHO, $8K for a standard trim Cougar that needs engine work, paint, and interior work is very optimistic even when it drives well. For me (and acknowledging that it's very hard to value a car accurately without seeing it), that would be no more than a $4-5K car.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: May be Selling The 67 ... NADA Values

Thanks Bill...before looking at NADA, that's the price range I was considering. What is confusing me is that the coug meets the definition of the "low" category which , after choosing the options correctly, still puts the value at $10,670.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
NADA said:
Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

I would interpret "mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning" to mean that everything works but the car might need a tune-up, an oil change, etc. Blue smoke from the engine would not qualify for this standard, IMHO.

Similarly, I would interpret minor reconditioning to mean that the paint might need to be buffed out or that the interior needs to be cleaned. If the car needs to be repainted or upholstery needs to be replaced, that would move the needle past minor reconditioning and into some degree of restoration.

This is why I don't like NADA as a benchmark. NADA isn't really addressing the project cars that most of us start with; it's addressing the cars you might find on a dealer lot and that's already more expensive than most private sales even for comparable condition. So I think the price range of $4-5K for your car is more realistic. Add to that the fact that we're still in a soft market and it may take a while to get that price for it.

The best advice I can give you is to take lots of pictures, post them with the ad, and give a complete description of your car. The fewer questions someone needs to ask after seeing your ad, the better qualified will be the potential buyers who contact you.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Bought mine of the lot of the Ford dealer for 3k. 4 speed standard coupe with PS otherwise pretty plain. Was nice daily driver type but that was many thousands ago!

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I would look for a copy of Old Cars Price Guide. A lot of big chain stores carry it. It usually has a far more down to earth estimate of worth. Unlike KKB it grades the condition and gives a value. Yours may bring more or not as much. Sorry to hear about no dream garage with the dream house.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The Nada book I have never found useful - it isn't even heavy enough to stop the door from blowing shut! A quick search on ebay will let you know what others have paid for similar cars - cuz asking and getting are two completely different things....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would look for a copy of Old Cars Price Guide. A lot of big chain stores carry it. It usually has a far more down to earth estimate of worth. Unlike KKB it grades the condition and gives a value. Yours may bring more or not as much. Sorry to hear about no dream garage with the dream house.
Thanks for the advice Neal, I'll try to find a copy. As for the garage, I guess it's partially my fault...I wimped out and gave up arguing about it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Look at your local craigslist and autotrader to see what similar cars are selling for

NADA and KBB don't mean $hit to classics

1 - 11 of 11 Posts