Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to see what size air cleaner I can clear under the hood of my67, I'm looking at a k&n 3" with a 1 1/2" drop base. I intend to use a turn down fitting at the carb to help clear . I have a 289 edel performer intake and a 600 performer carb, any advise from you guys would be a big help. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 302 came installed with a 3" K&N filter on a 1/2" raise plate, Edelbrock performer RPM intake and a Holley 4160 (750cfm) carb, and its tight! I need to get myself at least a flat base or a small drop base. From what I've understood, try to go with as little drop base as possible since it will affect the airflow into the carburetor. But also try to run the biggest (highest) filter you can fit.
Im new to these cars, and I'm happy to be corrected by the more experienced guys
Good luck! :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had K&N Xstream air cleaner, with a 1" or so drop, which fit under the hood fine. Only problem I had was the carb, at the time I had a 600cfm edelbrock, and the fuel line fitting was a bit of a problem, I could get one that had a tight enough bend on it. I eventually made one, but then had an issue with the fuel line being too close to the intake, and the heat from it was causing vapour lock issues.... Just something to consider.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts