Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best master cylinder I should get for 4 wheel disc brakes?? I am just installing the Mustang Steve Cobra disc brake swap.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
This is a very subjective/hard question to answer (and doing the same swap, I have done a lot of research on the subject). '95 Explorer MC will have the fittings on the correct (L) side, but depending on what booster you have may not clear the shock tower. The one that Mustang Steve sells is a 2000 Mustang V6 master I believe. Fittings on wrong side and metric. Then there is the Scott Drake unit which looks just like the original, including the smaller front reservoir like the disk/drum unit does. In fact, I think it may be the same in that the current disk/drum MC's no longer have the Residual Pressure Valve (RPV) in the rear circuit. For this reason, I plan to use the stock disk/drum MC to start, along with the stock disk/drum proportioning valve and see how it works. Worst case I will probably have to change the prop valve, but relatively sure based on my research that the stock master will work fine. The only issue would be to keep an eye on the rear reservoir since it is small and disks do not have self-adjusters like drums do and so the more wear on the pads, the more fluid the caliper requires. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can someone else please confirm as I can find no articles online stating this and when it comes to the car but also my life and other on the line I'd like to be thorough on this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm doing a similar swap on my 70. Going to use the factory power disc/drum M/C. The Cobra PBR brakes are from Street or Track. Instead of using the factory prop/distribution block, I bought the SSBC adjustable distribution block and proportioning valve. Shaun at Street or Track said to make sure that the M/C has a 1" bore which is needed for the PBR brakes. I measured my factory M/C and it is spec'd as a one inch bore, but measures slightly over that. I would have purchased his aluminum M/C, but is too long and will hit the shock tower when attached to the booster.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats exactly what I thought in regards to the master and prop valve required.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Can someone else please confirm as I can find no articles online stating this and when it comes to the car but also my life and other on the line I'd like to be thorough on this.
Here is most of my research posted in a thread: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?56301-What-are-people-using-for-4-wheel-disc-conversion-Master-Cylinder-Prop-Valve

Post 16 speaks to most of my assertions about using the stock disk/drum MC for disk/disk. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts