Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
long time member, however my old login isn't working, haven't used it in a year or so. SO new NAME! :)
Anyways, to the question... Its come time to replace the master cylinder in my 67 non-powered drum brakes cougar.... Now here is the question... Could i simply install a brake booster with the correct master cylinder to infact convert it to powered.. No need to swap to disc quite yet.. but it would be really nice to switch to powered. Now, would i only need to replace master cylinder and add booster? Or does it require a new pedal, etc etc. If its too crazy, i'll just replace the current master cylinder with a remanufactured, but i know looking at even autozone.com, i can just purchase the correct booster and master cylinder from them. Thanks for any help guys!!!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd probably try to do the conversion all at the same time so you aren't duplicating any efforts later on, because I believe that the M/C is different for disc/drum configs, and also I think your proportioning valve will need to be swapped/adjusted while your at it....I think there are a few differeces in the rod that goes to the booster (not sure if it's determined buy the booster/brand or what though?) as far as lenght or the end of it being a different shape>? Something like that.

Otherwise if you want to hold off for awhile - I'd just replace your M/C for now and gather up the parts for awhile. Mustang Steve's site should have plenty of options/info for you. Everbody seems pretty happy with his info/parts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick response... truth be told, I don't know if i ever even want to convert it to disc simply because its a no thrills 289 I don't ever plan on showing off speed wise... I'm used to non powered drum so its not too hard to drive.. just weighing my options with making it better while staying close to original... that's why i was hoping it wasn't too many parts to swap out... ;)
I

1 - 3 of 3 Posts