Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 which was originally a 4 wheel manual drum brake car. I am in process of a modification to a coyote swap with TCI suspension with rack and pinion steering and 4 wheel power disc brakes. I need to relocate the master cylinder to clear the engine. At minimum, I need to move it a couple of inches towards the dirver's side fender. I currently have both the manual brake pedal assembly and an assembly from a power brake car. The assemblies have different fulcrum locations and therefore different amounts of leverage and pedal travel. I'm thinking I will use a remote mounted electric brake booster.
My questions:
1. Which pedal assembly should I use?
2. Would it be okay to replace the brake pedal pin which the master cylinder rod connects to with one that is 2 inches longer, or would the increased torsion create a problem?
3 Does anyone know of a tandem master cylinder which is less than 6 inches long so it will fit between the firewall and engine. or of another solution which would allow me to use a stock pedal assembly.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Hydroboost?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
sn95 hydroboost

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like the Hydroboost master cylinder combination would still require relocating the master cylinder. I have about 5.75 inches between the firewall and the engine total length to work with.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey Chuck, I am in the same situation with my coyote swap. What brake system did you use?
Thanks!
Steve O,

I used an 03/04 mustang hydroboost setup on my coyote swap. It is mounted in the factory location using a reproduction Boss 429 booster wedge. You can take a look at my build in my signature for ideas. I did not have to move the hydroboost over to clear the coyote valve cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts