Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I found what may be a nice project car, its a '70 Mustang fastback. I'm going to look at it, hopefully Tuesday.
The owner says it needs a master cylinder and I'd like to know whats interchangeable. I'm fairily certain that one from a Mustang or Cougar up to '73 will work, but it may be cheaper to get it for an LTD or Fairlane ( ;) ).
I know its not a Cougar, but this is one of the few message boards I've gone to thats actually helpful and has people that answer my stupid questions :)
I still want the Cougar, but this will do nicely until I can afford that dual quad Boss 429/top-loader/9" detroit 4.13:1 rear/ drag pack/ grabber blue '69 Eliminator that no one knows they made ;)
Or something like it anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I trhink you hit the interchange on the head. The mastercylinder will not be to expensive, About $60 tops. I always likes the fast back mustangs.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
my interchange book says 67-71 Mustang/Cougar, 68-71 torino/montego all with disk brakes and uses a 15/16in. diameter piston. I like those Mustangs, (really like the 69 Fastback)

Rick

·
11,000 Posts
You should be able to get the correct master cylinder at any Auto Zone, Pep Boys etc for $30 rebuilt or $50 brand new. Knowing what it interchanges with is unimportant, a used master cylinder is not worth installing.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Royce has a point. You don't want that kind of surprise.....

Bruce

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Phastlane,

Ooops, I can't help you with your dream car, but I've driven something very close! A real Boss 429, dual quad (rare Ford Musclepart intake manifold!), four speed (they all were except the Lawman factory drag exhibition car), 4.11 Detroit locker,... Too bad it was maroon (and a Mustang - LOL).

My buddy Terry let me drive his Boss 429 to the big PFCA (Performance Ford Club of America) show in Columbus back in 81 (or was it 82?). I had to work on Saturday, but I left right after work. Terry and Keith had driven down earlier in their Mach 1s. At that time the car had less than 5000 original miles on it. I've also made a blast down the quarter mile with the car annihilating a pair of 8" slicks through first and second gear, to a [email protected] pass. Whatarush!!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ooops again! Forgot to attach the pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info, I checked my Mustangs Unlimited catalog (couple years old, still good), its $34.95 for a remanufactured one, and I think it was around $50 for a new one. M/U is about a half hour drive (in normal traffic I guess), so there'd be no shipping charge, which is nice. Of course Auto Zone is about 10 minutes away and may be cheaper.
My Dad made a point that its not that hard to convert to power/disc setup, so I might eventually do that, but I'd have to check the system weights. The Stang would ultimately end up a drag car thats still streetable (by my standards).
The owner said that brake fluid leaks out on your feet when you hit the brakes and it takes a little more effort to stop, this of course would mean they're non-power, making them all drums (if they were power, the booster would be in between the master & the firewall, keeping the fluid under the hood).
So I'll bring my "work" shoes, or possibly boots, and hope it doesn't snow. I've got a one gallon bottle of brake fluid in the garage, which should be enough to make it home. I'd most likely be following my Dad's Country Squire, probably driving pretty slow (without impeading traffic), so that'd cut down a little on the "I dont know about this" level.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw, sweet car! I wouldn't mind 12's, my plans are for a built 460 (hmm, 514 maybe), well, someday... :)
I really like the '69's, I'm not sure which I like better though. I know they're essentially the same, but they changed the noses and taillights (hey, just like 69/70 Cougars!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts