Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a GREAT weekend working on the cat. My 15 year old son spent the day in the back yard sandblasting and painting the bell housing (it looks great), while my 13 year old son was in the garage carefully pulling the heater core and I was in the driveway removing 40 years worth of grease and dirt off the transmission and painting it. Anyway, on to the topic of this thread: I finished the transmission and then moved on to remove the brake master cylinder. Disconnected the lines and then removed the two nuts holding it to the vacuum booster. Then I tried to remove the master cylinder and it would not clear the shock tower before it reached the end of the studs. So I decided to remove the vacuum booster and master cylinder as a unit. Went under the dash, disconnected the pedal and switch, and removed the 3 nuts that hold on the booster. I then went under the hood and removed the remaining booster bolt and the booster would not budge! Looked at the factory service manual and according to it I did everything right, but the booster still won't move. Anyone have any ideas on what I did wrong or possibly forgot to do? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have mentioned that my Cougar is a 69 XR7 convertible. The book said there is only 4 bolts but a 5th bolt would definitely explain my situation. I will twist and contort myself back under the dash and search for #5. And you are 100% correct - they are a PITA. Thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
4 bolts in a standard square pattern (one out in engine compartment). 1 bolt right above the steering column.

Been there, done that within the last month.

Actually, I got to all 4 kneeling outside the door and reaching up in with a rachet and socket.

Do yourself a favor, relpace the "locking" nuts with lock washers and regular nuts for the next time around.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
The nut on the bottom right has two nuts! One under the dash bracket and one on top. Remove the dash bracket and the second nut will be exposed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike and Don - Thanks for the excellent information. This is what makes this forum so good!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
BTW, the problem you are having getting the master out is the pushrod sticking in the master and preventing you from getting the master out. You have to stick a screwdriver in between the master and the booster and push it back into the booster (not easy, but can be done), then the master will clear and come out (barely). Doing what I mentioned with the pushrod is not easy, finesse and patience are required. BTDT a bunch of times trying to get my brakes working.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i unbolted the prop valve to get mine out of the 69

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Bob. Another mystery solved.
JK - Does unbolting the prop valve somehow retract the pushrod or was there another reason for unbolting it?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
it gave me enough movement in the brake lines to move the master out of the way enough to get the booster out

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ok stuck here I removed 4 on the inside and the one on the outside and this booster is stuck . I was even using a 18 pry bar and no movement , should I get out the 10# hammer now .

I only had 4 inside changed the number

100_4130.jpg 100_4131.jpg

·
Registered
316 Posts
Glad I watched TV and came back , I missed post 5 thinking it was a add . Why would they waste a whole nut to hold a bracket that one with the booster will work .

Thanks Cougar.net . Oh I used my air ratchet not many hand scratches .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts