Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm correct, if not help me out.

A master cylinder with the bowls the same size are DRUM only.

A master cylinder with a large and small bowls are DISK only.

I'm I correct?

And what bowl on a power set up is for the front system? Front or rear bowl?

Thanks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The larger bowl, whether front or back of the m/c, will be for the front disc brake calipers.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently installed is the small type booster, with two different size bowl MC.

SO

I should have a MC with two bowls same size, which is desgined for the all around drum system.??.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
You are correct. The larger bowl is only used on disc brake cars because as the pads wear down you need more fluid to fill the caliper bores than you need in a wheel cylinder.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If I may, I have a related question. When I bought my 70 vert a few years ago, everything seemed correct - except that it had a power drum master cylinder installed and I have power front disc brakes. Among many other things, I've re-done the front and rear brakes but I left the MC as is, as the brakes work great (the old if it aint broke, don't fix it routine). I don't drive it that much and I always check the brake fluid and other fluids occasionally. Are there any compelling reasons why I should install a MC for disc brakes and take the one I have out? Thanks, John.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If I may, I have a related question. When I bought my 70 vert a few years ago, everything seemed correct - except that it had a power drum master cylinder installed and I have power front disc brakes. Among many other things, I've re-done the front and rear brakes but I left the MC as is, as the brakes work great (the old if it aint broke, don't fix it routine). I don't drive it that much and I always check the brake fluid and other fluids occasionally. Are there any compelling reasons why I should install a MC for disc brakes and take the one I have out? Thanks, John.
John, should be fine, but just watch the reservoir on the side that feeds the disc's for the reason John mentions in the post above yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts