Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a set PN SPW-6 for my 1967 289 4V AC, PS, Auto trans to replace the OE wires. These wires are said to be exact reproductions. Well not even close. The OE wires only have one angled boot on number 4 cylinder. The Marti set has three angled boots. On the OE set all straight boots are orange and the single angled boot is black. All boots on the Marti set are black. The cap end of the plug wires also have the incorrect boots. Seem to be made of some type of plastic. They are shinny and look nothing like the OE set. They also have excessive mold flash. Whats strange is the cap end of the coil wire has the correct boot. I just can't see how these wires can be concourse quality. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Not knowing your Cougar, But being that it was built in 1966-67. I would be hard pressed to believe it still has it's factory wires on it. They may be a custom set or a incorrect reproduction set. Keven Marti does know his stuff, but there again, maybe he is mistaken for your application.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just swapped out the wires on my 390. got the wires from WCCC. I am not sure if the wires on the car were OE or not, but the plug boots were straight and the cap end was angeled. All boots were orange on the plug side. The coil wire was straight/straight. They were pretty long. The new set only # 6 was orange, the rest black. All are straight boots on the plug and the cap side is angeled, all black as well. The coil wire is much shorter and is angeled on both ends. After I figured out that they are numbered (I can be an idiot sometimes) they fit really well. These wires are supposed to be the concourse ones. I am not really sure if this is the OE look or not. I assume so. I like em' none the less.

There was a hesitation that has diminished since the plugs, wires, distributor cap and Pertronics has been swapped.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine look like that except that the coil wire has a 90 deg boot on both ends and the #6 wire has an orange boot on it for the plug side. All the pluds are numbered and there seems to be a date on them too.ALL boots connecting to the plugs are straight.
Do yours look like this?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not knowing your Cougar, But being that it was built in 1966-67. I would be hard pressed to believe it still has it's factory wires on it. They may be a custom set or a incorrect reproduction set. Keven Marti does know his stuff, but there again, maybe he is mistaken for your application.
The wires on the car are OE. The car only has 31k on it and has been stored since new in a garage with a dehumidifier. The writing on the OE wires are as follows.
Example: AUTOLITE 6 * RADIO RESISTANCE 6 * This repeats over the length of the wire. The cylinder number lays on its side. 180 degrees from the first Example is
1Q-67 RADIO RESISTANCE that repeats over the length of the wire. I tried to take pictures but gave up, crap camera and poor lighting conditions. I did get some usable shots of the boots at the cap and plugs though.

Update: I did some more investigating. The wire I used in my example was the coil wire as it was easy to get to. Its common for ford to have a cylinder number on their coil wires. Number 6 seems most common though I have seen other numbers. I pulled number 1 wire for inspection and the writing is much harder to read. All I can make out for sure is SX AUTOLITE nothing more. I would remove more wires for inspection but do not want to chance damaging any. I did some digging and found that the SX wires are claimed to be used only on radio delete cars with HP engines. SX wires are solid core non resistor wires. A quick ohm meter confirmed the SX wires are solid core wires as the resistance measured less than 5 ohms. Coil wire measures about 12k ohms. My cat was ordered with a AM/FM radio and a premium fuel 4V 289. So the info is not completely accurate. I would guess Ford figured the resistance coil wire would take care of any potential radio noise? I would really like to get to the bottom of this and be done with it. Now that I think of it my dad had two 63's, a Fairlane and a Galaxy both with 289's. They had solid core wires on them including the coil wire.

Bill

Attachments

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I'll probably be getting a set of wires for the Wife's all-original 23k-mile 351C-4V '70 Mach 1 in the near future, just because -- IF they're correct! Those wires are the date-coded 2Q-69 in red/orange on one side of the wire (although one wire has blue lettering), and RADIO RESISTANCE - H (with the cylinder number) - * in white on the other side... Orange spark plug boots, black 90* boots at the distributor cap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts