Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i've been using delo 15-40 oil for some time---as a desiel truck oil , it still has the zinc--the only negitive point is it is so dark in color--looks like the stuff you drain out of an old engine
doctordesoto

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
John, The Brad Penn racing oil is very good stuff. Do you buy it wholesale?
I get it for a little less because I buy it by the case but at $6.40/qt it is still expensive!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I love the idea of it! I would certainly use it. At $5/quart it would be a no brainer. Your market reach would be 100X if you could get it on the shelves at the autoboxes. I'm interested in being a Midwest Distributor.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
What is the suggested oil change interval if you drive about 1-2k miles a year?
At least once a year, as the oil gets contaminated with fuel residues etc when the engine is running, and also by getting hot, then cold over and over, and all that contamination forms an acid in the oil, that is not good for the internals in the long run

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
That's a good deal.

I'd be interested in specs for base stocks and maybe if it would be possible to do a semi-synthetic.

However, that makes life extremely easy at that price and with a blend that I know is going to be correct.
Several products like Rotella and Delo are phasing out their zinc packages, as are other oils. I get tired of having to constantly check out the oil forums and reaffirm that the oils I use do, indeed, have the right mix. This would save me probably an hour of wasted time every time I do an oil change in an old car by not having to double check.
Fantastic idea. Pair it with a Wix filter and you'd have a great combo.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Andy, Glad you mentioned the filter as that is next up. There are huge differences in quality. I would like to do a "no excuses" filter with a removable logo sticker, and then see if it were possible to provide some reproduction logo stickers with period correct logos.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Being a cheap F, I probably would not buy it. Reason being I can buy ZDDP plus http://zddplus.com/ and "regular" 20W-50 oil (Walmart house brand, I know it is made by one of the majors) and be pretty much (guessing) in the same space as a boutique oil such as you are suggesting. How much cheaper would it need to be you ask? In 10 bottle quantity, ZDDP plus is $8 (shipping included), WM oil is, jeez, I forget, about $12 for a 5 quart jug?, so $20 and I'm good. If you could compete with that, or close, might be a possible for me but refer to the first sentence above... :buck:

Regards,

Bob
From what I have read over the years oil additives are a bad idea. Additive clash can destroy an engine or at the very least greatly accelerate wear.
Joe Gibbs Racing has a great write up on additive clash here. http://www.joegibbsdriven.com/trainingcenter/learn/aboutzinc.html
Joe Gibbs Driven oil or Brad Penn oil should be great for any older engine that uses a flat tappet cam. If using a roller cam newer oils should be fine.
I have been a Mobil 1 user since it's inception. Every ICE engine I own has M1 in it. Now that the extreme pressure lubricants have been all but removed from the latest spec oils I have switched to M1 high mileage as it still has the extreme pressure lubricants needed by older engines using flat tappet cams. I would guess Amsoil would also be an option for people that like Amsoil.

Some people seem to think the more zinc the better but some oils with high zinc levels actually perform worse than oils with much less zinc. Making a great oil is more than a science, it's an art. Finding reliable oil tests that are available to the public is near impossible. Amsoil is a good company though I do not use their products I trust their testing. This is not a car oil test but a cycle oil test that's getting kinda old now. It will show how some supposedly top end oils are utter crap. What can be taken way from this test? What people perceive as being the best oil may very well not be. http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx

BTW Brad Penn is the Kendall of old. Same wells and engineers. I would guess Joe Gibbs oil is made by Brad Penn though I have no proof.

Bill

21 - 29 of 29 Posts