Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Survey question:

Would you buy a high Zinc Phosphorous oil blended specifically for classic V8's?

A package of 6 quarts would retail for $40 with free shipping in the contiguous 48 states.

Background details:

As most of you are aware, the major oil companies have removed zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) from the oil they sell. Modern engines with roller cams don't need it and it is bad for catalytic converters.

Unfortunately for us our cars were designed around the kind of protection from wear that ZDDP provides. The result is cams that fail in no time at all and accelerated wear on all of the flat bearing surfaces.

What we need is an oil with about 1500 or more parts per million of ZDDP. (This is more that is legally allowed for use in polution controlled vehicles.)

My father in law is retired from a major oil company where he ran the oil blending and packaging facility for many years. With a few connections, I can get a custom blended oil, that matches the ZDDP levels of the past, and combines it with a state of the art additive package. There are a lot of house-brand private-label oils, but they are generally the same stuff with just different label. This would be a true custom blend.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I would definitely buy it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Being a cheap F, I probably would not buy it. Reason being I can buy ZDDP plus http://zddplus.com/ and "regular" 20W-50 oil (Walmart house brand, I know it is made by one of the majors) and be pretty much (guessing) in the same space as a boutique oil such as you are suggesting. How much cheaper would it need to be you ask? In 10 bottle quantity, ZDDP plus is $8 (shipping included), WM oil is, jeez, I forget, about $12 for a 5 quart jug?, so $20 and I'm good. If you could compete with that, or close, might be a possible for me but refer to the first sentence above... :buck:

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing wrong with being frugal. What got me started in this was finding that the Comp Cams additive really did not mix well with the oil. I suspect that the additive package in the oil I was using did not lend itself to being "contaminated" with another additive.

The best comparison is really something like Valvoline VR-1. Amazon has a 6 pack of VR1 for about the same money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are some things that are simply worth paying for and this is a great example. Count me in.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Bill,

I use Brad Penn Racing oil which has a bunch of ZDDP in it. It is not cheap but I can get it locally from one of the speed shops. Here is the link - http://www.bradpennracing.com/

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I may be interested.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Adam, check closely what you get at AZ and O'R. The oil with high levels for Zinc is usually marked as not legal for use on the street. (racing oil) And of course, And what I am proposing would also be less money, $6.59 / QT.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me, Bill.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Joe Gibbs high zinc oil is about the same price. $85 per case of 12 and $24 shipping to my door. They offer 15w-50, 5w-30 and 30w. From a vendor on FE.com. That said I'd be interested in what your doing as well. It's good to have a few sources and vendors and the pricing is good. I currently use VR1 NSL formula in 20w-50. What weights would you be offering??

·
11,000 Posts
Valvoline Racing oil (any weight) runs about $5 a quart around here. It is 1200 PPM ZDDP or higher, same as any oil from 1968 - 73. That's about $30 a case Bill. Why would Iwant to pay $10 more plus shipping?

You can buy VR1 on Amazon too:
http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV205-Formula-Approved-Bottles/dp/B000CQ4DEQ

Survey question:

Would you buy a high Zinc Phosphorous oil blended specifically for classic V8's?

A package of 6 quarts would retail for $40 with free shipping in the contiguous 48 states.

Background details:

As most of you are aware, the major oil companies have removed zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) from the oil they sell. Modern engines with roller cams don't need it and it is bad for catalytic converters.

Unfortunately for us our cars were designed around the kind of protection from wear that ZDDP provides. The result is cams that fail in no time at all and accelerated wear on all of the flat bearing surfaces.

What we need is an oil with about 1500 or more parts per million of ZDDP. (This is more that is legally allowed for use in polution controlled vehicles.)

My father in law is retired from a major oil company where he ran the oil blending and packaging facility for many years. With a few connections, I can get a custom blended oil, that matches the ZDDP levels of the past, and combines it with a state of the art additive package. There are a lot of house-brand private-label oils, but they are generally the same stuff with just different label. This would be a true custom blend.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Royce, VR1 racing oil is what I am using right now. There are two version of VR1, the racing version with about 1500PPM zinc and the street version with around 1200ppm. The racing version is what would be the closest to what I am proposing, and most chain stores do not offer it. The racing version is typically a bit more money, and not commonly available in at least my area. Also, I think you might have missed it, but what I am proposing would include free shipping.

So far it seems that price is a very important factor, maybe more important than having a product that is really dialed in for flat tappet old school V8's.

Would getting the price to $5 a quart make a big difference? How about $4? There are no wrong answers, unless they are not honest.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that 20W50 is probably the best choice for most people. This accounts for the fact that not too many people are operating a collector car when the temps are below freezing.

Back in the day 10W-30 and 20W-40 were the most widely used multi-grades. A lot of people ran 30W and where summer temps ran above 90 degrees, they ran 40W!

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I use the VR1 Racing oil. $5 a quart at AutoZone.

What is the suggested oil change interval if you drive about 1-2k miles a year?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been changing oil about once per year. My cars are in a climate controlled area and there is little to no condensation in dry Arizona. Of course after the dust storm last night, I think I am going to change the oil in every thing I own.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
20w-50 at $80 a case shipped with 1500ppm of zinc I'm in. The higher zinc version of VR1 20w-50 is special order for me here from NAPA and $7.76 qt plus tax. So I'm about $100 for a case of 12 qts in 20w-50. $109 for the Gibbs by mail order. Now you need a catchy name for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts