·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Keep drooling!

I've been lusting after one of those bad boys ever since I heard the rumors of them almost a year ago! Originally, they were scheduled for a March 2002 rollout, but now that's pushed back to July.

Price? I'm thinking somewhere in the mid 30s since the decked out Grand Marquis with the good handling package will run about $28k now. I'm sure that the DOHC Cobra engine, the bigger wheels and tires along with the other goodies will push it up about the same ammount as the Cobra is above a Mustang GT.

I've always been a fan of performance 'yachts' since I grew up with them. The car I learned to drive in was my mother's 68 Olds Delta Custom which was a full size fastback Olds 88 with a 455ci high compression engine 'red' engine. That puppy was rated (yeah right) at 385hp and 515lb/ft torque. Even my buddy who had (and still has) a 69 Mach with a 428SCJ was impressed with its power. Damn, I miss that car!

In the late 70s/early 80s I had a 73 Buick Electra. That thing was so long it wouldn't even fit in my parent's garage! I 'tweaked' its 455 a bit, too. You gotta remember that this timeframe was the 'dark ages' for performance. I was able to rip Z-28s and Trash-Ams a new one with this car. I called those pitiful examples 'Decal Racers' since that's about all they were. That old Electra would pull 16.0s at the track when those Zs and such were doing 17s in stock trim!

I even took my mother's 70 Caddy Fleetwood to the track once in the mid 80s. The crowd in the stands laughed like heck when they saw this old tank pull up to the line. It gained a whole lot of respect when I ripped off a 15.4! Hey, a 11.25:1 compression 472 makes gobs of torque! I had to baby it off the line to keep the rear tires from going up in smoke. The Mustang GTs at the time were running slower than that.

My wife used to have a 77 Marquis with a 460. This car weighed in at somewhere around 5400 pounds. They needed a 460 to move that bulk. After a while I decided to do a little tweaking on it, too. A mild cam, a 'straight up' timing set instead of the factory retarded one, a set of big tube duals, a shift kit and a set of 3.25 posi gears instead of the original 2.40s. WOW, what a difference! My wife is a bit of a leadfoot and likes a car that can get out of its own way. Where I live, there are a lot of busy 2-lane highways and opportunities to pass are rare and call for a generous application of the 'go pedal'. This car flat out honked!

I got a million stories of performance land yachts!

Performance land yachts? Ya gotta love 'em!

·
Registered
29 Posts
You’ll notice that Logan has ordered one. He sent me the specs a little while back and they seemed not too outrageous in price. When I did a search on-line I found an article that said they were going to offer a 4-Door convertible with even more HP and TQ! I think I’ll let the dust settle from the initial craze then try to get my hooks on one! :eek2:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Convertible Marauder

The convertible Marauder you have seen is a Ford concept car. It has not been approved for production!

BTW, it is also a 2-door!

There are many differences between the new production Marauder and the concept convert. One biggie is the engine. The concept has a SOHC 4.6 but is supercharged.

If there is some recent news of them actually producing this concept car, please accept my apology!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used to have a 74 Marquis with a 460.
It looked really funny doing brake stands with the smoke billowing out of the fender skirts.

Remember those days Logan?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when my moms car got in an accident a year and a half or so ago, she went to get a rental car. she called me to ask what she should get as teh agency only had 2 cars available. the choice ( if you can call it that ) was between a hyundai Accent ( my sis has one, really, not a BAD car ) or a Grand Marquis. well once again, thats just not even a choice, its a given that you get the Merc. ew have had rentals that were Mustangs before, but i had more fun with the Marquis than any other rental that we had. it was a fun ass car. would make a mild burnout without brakestanding. ( brakestands are cheating IMO ) and despite its HUGE size, it could bust an easy U-Turn. The Cougar cant even do that. got decent milage ( better than my moms V6 Stang actually :eek2: ) and had a trunk that you could fit half of Canada in. it was a huge car and parking was an issue, but the fact that at night you go the speed limit and NOBODY dares to pass you makes up for it as well :)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I miss that car... That and playing tag in the back alleys... Actually I think I miss that corrolla even more....

What about that 77 Fury eh? Remember that day we had the engine bay so packed with snow it wouldn't even stay running? hahaha oops... :)

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I remember the 1964 Galixie XL I had, It was the 4 door hard top. The dummies I ran around use to open the front door, fold down the seat and clime in back and complane about how hard it was to get in to. I'd smile and tell them to try the back door next time. Oh those were the days. I also remember the 63 olds 98 I had. power every thing. Including that rare factory option, Power failure. Neal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can't wait until a used Marauder hit the market, it will probably be the first newer car that I will buy.

Gotta love the big cars. My first car was an '81 Fairmont wagon with a 5.0 swap, kind of a sleeper, but still slow as dirt. Not super huge but big enough to stuff 8 people into. Quite possibly the greatest thing that ever happen in that car was when one of my friends stuck his head out the window while I was driving about 40 mph, another friend threw two full cans of soda out in front of the car. The cans exploded on impact, drenching my car and friend in Dr. Pepper.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I love my (my wifes) gran marquis. It is pretty quick for such a big car and the ride is great!! Now I going to try and talk her into trading it in for a marauder!!:D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Marauder DVD?

OK, what's up with the marauder DVD being only available in the US!! Maybe I read the website and the mag ads wrong?? :mad:

...Well I made assumptions again:rolleyes: I called the toll free number and my DVD is on the way!!:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts