Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get rid of my leaky power steering. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could convert to armstrong steering? An aftermarket manual rack and pinon conversion is out of the question, price being the limiting factor.
Thanks,
Cody

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Most Mustang and Cougar vendors sell a MS adapter that is used to replace the ps control valve, then all you have to do is remove the rest of the ps setup. Downside is your useing a faster ratio power steering box so the effort required to turn it will be more than a regular manual setup.

If you dont do alot of tight parking its probably ok. mm

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Put a manual rack in

I have a manual rack that takes about two hours to swap out. Very easy to convert. Of course, manual steering ... su.. well you get the idea.

Want to buy my rack? Includes box, pitman, and drag link. I might have the idler too but they're still available.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If it's a cleveland motor you may have pulley issues. The water pump is on the same groove as the p/s pump. I used Boss 302 w/pump and crank pulleys and everything lines up perfectly. I have a couple of extra pulley sets if interested.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Email me

clevelandcougar said:
How Much $ ?
Cody,

Send me an email -- the one on here that's linked to you is not you. You should check the profile.

Bill

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Pre 67 units had the ball stud built into the center link (center link: the long rod from pitman arm to idler arm that the tie rods attach to.) From 67 on the PS valve included the ball stud and that complete assembly screwed onto the center link.
If you buy the pre 67 one you are buying the centerlink and all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts