Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 with a 289 and factory power steering. My power cylinder just decided to rip itself out of the frame destroying the bracket and cylinder, and widening the holes in the frame. I need to get the car fixed as soon as possible, so I'm trying to figure out if there is a part I can buy to replace the control valve and use manual steering, or if i can just remove the power cylinder and plug the control valve lines. So for the quick list of questions:

How do I convert factory power steering to factory manual steering?

Can I disconnect the pump and power cylinder and use the control valve to move the wheels?
-Will this destroy the control valve?

Will Mustang parts work?

·
Registered
733 Posts
For a quick fix, you can just clean up whatever pulled apart to make sure it won't bind with anything and remove the belt and run it. I ran mine for years like that until I fixed everything. I had blown a pressure hose back then so had no fluid left in the system.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks nice. Would you happen to know the magic word that gets MU to send it overnight? I couldn't get anywhere with the salesman.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think ill try that until my part gets here. Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I used the manual steering adapter that replaces the control valve and it works great! the steering is a little harder than factory manual but its no big deal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got the part overnighted, Ill run on the control valve until it gets here. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For a quick fix, you can just clean up whatever pulled apart to make sure it won't bind with anything and remove the belt and run it. I ran mine for years like that until I fixed everything. I had blown a pressure hose back then so had no fluid left in the system.....

Do you know what size the fittings are in the control valve so I can plug them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts