Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed a manual rack set up in their cougar? I was wondering what steering effort compares to factory manual steering.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I tried, heaven knows I tried, but the two manual flaming river racks I attempted to install woudn't fit. So I can't help you.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
acording to napa catalogs , gm made a man rack for cavileers and it is available in steeroids kit.i have no experience with it tho---
doctordesoto

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The guy next door to my shop manufactures rack and pinion systems for late '50s-early '60s full-sized Fords/Mercs as well as little Birds. In fact he just finished his prototype for '67-'70 Mustangs/Cougars that will be available shortly.

I posed the same question a few months ago and he said that the effort was about the same for both. If there is any difference at all, it might be slightly more difficult with the rack and pinion.

nnickty

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ive never used on on a cougar, but my old hot rod truck had Mustang 2 susp and a power rack. I had a ps fluid leak for awhile and I just bypassed the PS pump and used the rack as manual. It steered just fine and only took a little more effort than when it was powered. So I cant imagine a manual rack being any worse than a stock manual box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts