Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, is this what I've been needing all these years? Anyone using these on there 67/68 cougars with factory power steering? I had so much trouble with my power steering leaking back in the mid 80's that I just cut the hoses and took off the pump. I've drove it like that for 4-5 years but always wondered if there was a better way (other than converting to a manual set-up) Didn't want to spend the money for the manual set-up so I just drove it like it is now. Anyway, I came across this adapter and thought it might be a good idea. Does this take the place of my power steering control valve? Can I remove the power ram after this is installed? I noticed my pitman arm is getting a lot of slop in it so this should fix that too, right? I'm pretty ignorant when it come to front suspension so be gentle! Thanks,

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah, they work. You get to remove power ram, and the control valve. The adapter threads on where the control valve is. But the cost around $150. You can get the manual steering drag link, the manual steering pitman arm and the manual steering idler arm for about that much. If the OEM power steering is not under pressure you will have slop. The way it was explained to me you can't get rid of all the play in our steering wheels with stock style steering.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Got a full manual rack sitting in storage... :)

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Save the money and trade someone straight across for the right parts to convert. Many would take you up on such an offer.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I got this piece years ago and am still using it. Granted I have not driven it much in years, but I am happy with it. At the time I think it only cost around 100 from Mustangs Unlimited though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts