Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a daily driver with a slightly beefed up engine. Which should I go with a manual rack and pinon or a power steering set up? My car came with power but I am not sure which I should go with. Which is the better choice? Any and all advice will be great. It is a 1968 Cougar By the way 351W engine Auto trans

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
My 68 came with a manual set up, and is a ***** to parallel park. If you have all the stuff, I'd stick with a power set up.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Unless you only plan on going in a straight line I would go with power steering.

·
Registered
524 Posts
As mentioned above, unless racing the car, power is the way to go. Even if racing, i would settle with the PS. Trying to park in the pits is a bear without PS. My ride was a weekend warrior and seen alot of street use and was a pain in the a$$ to park all week! My vote- PS

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I am going to vote the other way.

Vintage power steering on these cars is too much power, I want more road feel. Not a fan of the 1 finger effort steering.

Pretty sure that the manual rack and pinion steering will be somewhere in between OEM manual and power steering, effort wise.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You are JUST A KID, so I doubt you would fight manual that much, but power would certainly help when you do get ready to SELL......., and I bet you would end up LOVING POWER. IMO

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
508 Posts
Living here in the Springs, with all the hills and goofy driveways,...I would only consider POWER. The reputation for reliability in rack conversions goes to TCP http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rack.html One question,.....Will it be compatible with the coil-over front suspension kit you have been researching?
My power steering, even after being completely rebuilt, rides every rut in the road,....the bigger tires don't help, but......from MY research, a rack setup nearly eliminates tracking. I swear my '69s steering was designed by Ruben Goldberg!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going with power and I spoke with the maker of the Suspension kit I am putting in he says The power will work perfect with no modifications

1 - 9 of 9 Posts