Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you can't find a used one, you can get a new one from National Parts Depot, $164.95 , page 94 in new book.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You do know if you go with the actual manual steering drag link, you also have to change to a manual pitman arm, right?

What most people do is buy a conversion piece which replaces the control valve:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=MU3304A+01

Using this you keep the PS drag link and pitman arm.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Timon is converting his 1970 Cougar from factory power steering, to the Borgeson integral steering. He knows about the manual steer idler and pitman arms.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Would a 69 work? I have one of those. Any critcal measurements for me to take to make sure you can use it?
Kevin

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Different tie rod end hole size Kevin.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hallo,

sry I didnt reply quickly... university needs quite a lot of attention at the moment.
I want to change my Powersteering linkage completly to manual steering linkage because I dont think our TÜV (people who check the safety of your car and give the permission to drive it) wont like the conversion centerlink.
But thanks a lot for your help, I have found someone here in Germany who had the manual draglink, tie rods, idler and pitman arm left from his restauration off his '70 Mustang. So this thread is solved :)

The conversion parts have already been ordered from summit. Really looking forward to the new feel. I will give you some feedback on it as soons as I am on the road again with my cat.

Thanks a lot

Timon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts