Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
well i am now 0-3 with getting a good quality front bumper. This may not be Don Rush`s fault but i tried bolting on my new front bumper and heres what i got for results look in the gallery n you`ll see why. I called him n explained to him that the bumper he sentr to me is bent. The front horn brackets bolt up ok but the left outer bracket doesnt even come close to bolting up to its mounting holes. So hopefully he gets back to me and sends me another bumper. I am having the worst luck w/ front bumpers.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi Pat,

Bummer when parts don't fit. Since your 0-3, are you sure your coug's body is in-line?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bruter
yes the 2 previous bumpers were ok in the corners that are now bad on this 1 i mean i only ask for a nice straight bumper whats so hard to ask that much for? The 1 i originally had that john hudson now has on his 70 was a great fitting 1 there was just a few minor things wrong w/ it but it fit great, but since i redid the car i wanted a brand new bumper so the 2nd one from bumperboyz looked great until i bolted it up. The brackets bolted fine right up to the holes but when you put it on the car you see everything. That looked like crap now the 3 rd one i got here is worse then the 2nd one i had recently on. Once the pics download you`ll see why and what i mean. Man nothing in this word comes easy anymore ... Seech
thanks
pat
p.s. sorry ta vent but 0-3 on these things and i get fustrated. The outer bumper bracket s bolted great and right up to the old bumper ,the pass side one bolts great the drivers side aint even close it has a 2 inch gap near the bolt holes up top n they dont even alighn to the horn brackets down below.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
This is Ruby's front bumper, PLEASE do not tell me it cannot be fixed, I thought it had just been put on badly by the PO. I am going to be totally po'd if this is a permanent problem.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whos ruby?
look at my front bumper n tell me what looks better?
thanks
pat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Ruby is my 70 cougar, okay yours looks worse but you are in USA, I have no way of getting another bumper, I could proberly buy another car for what I would pay to import one. Can't you try and change the fittings on yours to fit, it looks like if you lifted up the one side it may just work. I can't believe that bumpers that are sold for that year of cougar will not all be the same. Its like buying a windscreen and finding it does not fit, they should all be the same, well in theory at least. :)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried everything
adjusting the brackets and nothing, it needs a replacement im just pissed cause last time i drove it was in march and was hoping this weekend i was going to but looks like it`ll sit for another week n a 1/2.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hope it works out for you and the guy gives you a replacement.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think he will, i know he has a good reputation n doesnt wanna ruin it by a bad deal, i got faith i`m sure it`ll be replaced w/ no hassles.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Looks like Ruby needs the bumpers polished or rechromed.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Don stood behind my purchase from last fall. When 68 Kat had a fender-bender I wasn't sure what parts I would need. He allowed me full credit and a fan shroud is on the way...:)

I am certain he'll make it right if you talk to him!!!

Ken

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
72cat the good thing is if your parts dont fit quite right who there is gonna know? :D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Looks like Ruby needs the bumpers polished or rechromed
Yeah but there is no-one locally that can do such a large bumper, I have wetsanded all the rust off and sprayed it with chrome spray paint, not wonderful but looks a bit better, thats actually why I took those pictures originally.

72cat the good thing is if your parts dont fit quite right who there is gonna know
ME!:mad: :( :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called don monday mourning and he doesnt understand how it gotto looking like it did.He asked me about my brackets and i explained to him that they were fine from the previous bumper and the core was on its way to him. He and I agreed to try another bumper, I`m sure he will check it for straightness before it gets shipped and if theres something wrong i know its my car .But in fact i know my car is straight in the front so i have no worries there. Totally a misunderstanding and everything is all good between don and myself. I have delt with don numerous times and everything was fantastic so i know it will all work out.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
175 Posts
72cat, are you sure that you are not just missing the rubber pads that go between the bumper and fender?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Grunt Doc, more than likely, she seems to be missing most things on the exterior. Sent me a pic or brief description on where to find them and I will have a look tomorrow. Thks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
72, I don't have a pic handy right now, but where the bumpers turn upward and tuck in under the fender extensions, there should be a black rubber pad. it is sort of trinagular shaped (same as the bumper) and has grooves to slide into the bumper. If your concern is the gap between the bottom of the fender extension and the top of bumper, that's probably the cause.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts