Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just picked up a brand new 12v Makita drill onsale at Osh for $109. Anyone have one? Are they anygood? Should I have bought the Impact, or 14.4v?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
314 Posts
I like the bigger voltage drills the best......more power.
I have a Porter Cable 19 point something volts ......lots of power.
Wheres Tim Allen when you need him?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
That Makita is a good drill. My brother inlaw the carpenter uses them. But if you bought it for a impact you wont be happy with it even if it was a 19V. I have a Craftsman 12v and it dose everything I need it to do around the garage and house. Just used it today driving some 3/16" self taping screws into 3/16" or better plate. If I need to go bigger than that I will get my impact out.mm

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have the same one. Works good for me around the house. I dont think that the 14.+ volt drills are worth the extra cash if you use it around the house.

I am not saying that they are not good, just not worth the extra cash for light jobs. the 12V has pleanty of tq.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Crazy, do you notice a light dragging sound when the drill is in the second speed? Could it be the brushes wearing in? Only in second gear.

Thanks

Chris

And thanks for the response

·
Registered
794 Posts
mine does the same thing. I never noticed it until just now when I tried it. I wouldnt worry about it. Mine is 2 yrs old. I got it right after the NMH batteries came out.

·
Registered
794 Posts
just be glad you didnt buy a duh-walt. I have a 12v one that my work provides and it smokes on a regular basis. Some times it locks up and I have to get rough with it to make it work again.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, I'm glad I don't own that. It was either the 12v Makita for $109, or the 12v Roybi (or whatever its called) for something like $49. The 9.6v Roybi was going for a whole $35! :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've got the little 9.6 vt Ryobi... forget what I bought it for.. but now it's the new starter motor on my gas powered r/c truck.. hehe, removing the pull starter increases horsepower by 10%

wooHoooo!!!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
makitas are tough

Ive had my makita for a long time,It works for a time under water.We were puting a fish finder on my dads boat rather than take it out of the water for 2 screws I wound those babies in right under the transome.After it dried out it worked fine.I also have a dewalt right angle cordless its great fortight squeezes.both hae about the same amount of power. Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts