Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to go with a BF Goodrich Drag Raadial. It's cross section is about 14.6", which should be about 13'' or less wide at the tread. I have 14" from the fender lip to the inside wheel well. Is anyone running anything close to this? 345/55/15. The height is advertised at 29.8". I know some of you run a 295/50/15. Any idea how much room you have between the tire sidewall and the inner wheel well? I'm trying to figure out what offset I'll need to have my new wheels made at. if there is no way I can make these fit there is always the 325/50/15. Their an inch and a half thinner and 2 " shorter. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have nop other answer for this than Hooooooolllleeeeeeee crap!!! 345?? ouch!:eek2:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I dont think you can make them fit. I done alot of mesureing on mine before. Not only are they too wide, there too tall to fit the wheel well.

I'm planning on 15.5 or 18.5 x 29" on mine and I'm planning on probably having to stretch the wheel well opening a little. mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Well, with 295/50/15's, I have MAYBE 1" of clearance on either side of the sidewall. You need at least that much space to accomodate for spirited cornering...

If you roll the quarter lips, you'll free up an inch and with a 17" rim and a low aspect ratio tire on say a 10 inch rim, you MIGHT fit but it'd be a damn tight fit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my wheel lip is now at 27" from the ground. 29" is only 2" taller. The tires on there now are tiney.They are 25.5 " tall The added height of the newer tire will probably put the lip about 28.5 to 29" off the ground. With the lip at about tread level, My only concern is the sidewall. I plan on having the rear end lifted with the wheel lip at tread level. Logan, how much of your rear tires extend up into the wheel well past the lip?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
None. The top of my tires have about 1/2" air in between them and the top of the wheel well opening.

I'm running brand new rear springs.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Explain please, the reasoning behind putting tyres that size on the cougar. I am asking this out of curiosity only, where we live, when folks see our 235/60 or is it 50/15's they comment on how big they are, in relation to the size of the car.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Vfret, you missunderstood what I was trying to say. Get out your handy dandy tape and measure the bottom of the wheel opening front to back and then you will see why I said what I did about a 29.8" tire fitting in there. mm

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
BFGs

I ran a set of BFG Drag Radials 275/60/15 or 65/15. These babies were huge! They rubbed going around corners. Plenty of traction. I make 530 RWHP and they would hook on the street...well until about 1/2 tread and they would burn for 200+ feet.

I can't see going much bigger with the same aspect ratio. Logan gave his feedback on the 50's...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts