Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angryfi:
:1zhelp:
I went to start-up Cat II this evening and was rewarded with a bunch of smoke billowing from under the right front hood area. Alas and alack - major fire in the electrical harness with wires burned and melted all the way to the harness in back of the headlight vacuum motor.

Does anyone have a main harness for a 1969 XR-7? I suffer severe withdrawl sypmtoms when deprived of the at least weekly fix of BB rumble and torque.

:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mike,
dude, that sucks arse. Can you see what the culprit was?
I have seen this happen a few times with old mustangs.

We should all learn a lesson from this and fuse the hot wires at the solonoid.

Hey, if it burnt from the front to the back, and not through the fuse box, maybe a parking light wire? does the trun signal relay
have a constant hot. It must for the hazards to work.

Let us know how it goes....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacement harness found due to the courtesy and consideration of Cascade Classics who, although they did not have the harness available, directed me to another dealer in the business, Wild West Classic Mustang Ranch , and they took care of business without maxing out my VISA card. This sounds like the plot line to Miracle on 34th Street, next thing you know I'll find a cane propped in the corner of my garage.

Some vendors that service our Classic Cougar community can be arrogant and heavy handed, but the two I've mentioned are to be commended. BRAVO ZULU to you guys.

Gunner Mike - Prowlin' and Growlin' again soon
EOM AR
:D ;) :D ;)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
wire fire

Pretty sure based on my own fire in a 69 xr7 that there are two wiring harness an early and a late for 69. There are two ribbons for xr7 guage clusters a red and a blue. I believe the blue is the early and the red is late and same as 70 xr7. If you hook a blue cluster to a red harness (or vice versa ) I think you get smoke.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CrazyCat said:
Mike,

We should all learn a lesson from this and fuse the hot wires at the solonoid.

Let us know how it goes....
I've purchase two of the fuseable links, as described in Service Bulletin 32 of 26 May 1969 on pages 3 and 4, from All Classic Mustangs, however the instructions in the SB are about as clear as a Pentagon briefing. Does anyone have any experience with this, or even suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CrazyCat said:
How much does a new harness go for? You can give me a ballpark....
In my time of misery trying to exorcise the electrical demons from the Cat, I discovered that a new harness is not available for the Cougar. Several vendors have them for the 69 and 70 Mustangs with and without the sport lamps and tachs at a cost of roughly $249.00, but the plug for the fuse box is reused. The thought of just using a Mustang harness induced nightmares of a charred hulk and was summarily dismissed.

With the wiring in our harnesses aging and becoming brittle, perhaps some vendor would repro them.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Idone some business with wild west mustang ranch in seattle washington. They helped me out in alot of parts i needed.Plus thats where i got my 31 spline axles when i rebuilt my rearend for my 70 convertible.Also bought a rear valance from them and about 3 inches aboce the body seam on the rear 1/4s behind the rear wheel.No mine werent rusted out, i made a mess out of the welding when i put the lower inner 1/4 panel pieces and cut off the body pinch weld off the new 1/4s. So i had to rebuild them both.But all in all the WWMR are good people to do business w/ as well.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:1zhelp:
I went to start-up Cat II this evening and was rewarded with a bunch of smoke billowing from under the right front hood area. Alas and alack - major fire in the electrical harness with wires burned and melted all the way to the harness in back of the headlight vacuum motor.

Does anyone have a main harness for a 1969 XR-7? I suffer severe withdrawl sypmtoms when deprived of the at least weekly fix of BB rumble and torque.

:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

My Cat is alive again. New underhood harness from Cougars Unlimited and a bunch of other maintenance items did the trick. In the interim I've had a stroke, which did slow things down. I got to hear it crank again.....now they are repairing the rusted out areas at the base of the back windshield and installing a new vinyl top and headliner.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry to hear about that. Hope your recovery is going well. I had my stroke almost 4 years ago...sure makes you think about the important things in life! (Like the coug!!:))
Mike,
Recovery is going very well but the stroke influenced me to start selling my competition match rifles. After two heart attacks and now the stroke the very last place I need to be is on a 600 yard rifle range. Our range is difficult to get into with an ambulance but the range makes a fantastic landing zone for a MedEvac. Just got an offer on one of my NM M1 Garands in 7.62 X 51mm and some of those funds will go into the new leaf springs. My wife and I should make Cruisin' the Coast in Gulfport, MS in 2008.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi Mike, welcome back. :wave:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Glad to hear you're on-the-mend! It's important to keep busy and there's no better way than working on the coug.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts