Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the stock exhaust headers the other day cause I'm looking at replacing them with some new Hooker Headers. The old nuts and studs are terribly corroded though.

Any ideas on getting them off without breaking them all...and should I replace all the studs?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
You'll need heat, like from a torch. Otherwise, you'll risk breaking off the bolts in the heads. You might get by with just a small bernz-o-matic torch. That's all I have at home and have had good luck with it. At the shop we use the large oxy/acetyln set-up. I wouldn't even waste my time with penetrating oil and such.

Heat them up one at a time and try breaking them loose while they're still hot. Then go on to the next. It takes time but sure beats the alternative.

You will have to replace the studs because they will not work on headers. That is unless you decide to replace the manifolds with manifolds again. Your new headers should come with new bolts.

Good Luck!!

Mark

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just have your local exhaust shop do it. They are going to have to connect/reweld the headers to the exhaust pipes anyway.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm thinking that would be the smarter thing to do since I don't have a torch to get the old ones off and I wanted to get a new exhaust setup anyways...maybe I could just have it done all at once...I'll have to run that one by the bank :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts