Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is at the metal shop/muffler shop and it looks like I need new mufflers. What would you guys go with, Magnaflow or Flowmaster?

I think they will be 40 series with 2 1\4 inch pipe.

You guys have any video/audio of these mufflers on your small blocks?

I am going for a low rumble, sounds of muscle without making the car unbearable to ride in. I don't dig a tin sound.

Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Dan, I have a BNIB set of 2 1/4" 40 series if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Sound is awfully subjective but I'd pass on the Flowmasters if you want a mellow sound. I've had several pairs of both brands and I'll never get another pair of the Flowmasters. I figure there is no need to sound like every GM muscle car.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sound is awfully subjective but I'd pass on the Flowmasters if you want a mellow sound. I've had several pairs of both brands and I'll never get another pair of the Flowmasters. I figure there is no need to sound like every GM muscle car.
I guess it is a good thing a Cleveland has a different exhaust note then, or my car might sound like every GM muscle car. (just being a smart ass, not taking offense)

Now the newer cars sound like crap to me. Something about the overhead cam, or something do with the way they send the exhaust gases out, they just don't sound right.

A lot of the sound is going to depend on how you exit the pipes. They will have more of a throaty sound if you use turn downs, and more "in your face" if you exit straight out. Of course the longer the pipes, the more it will quieten it down.

This is mine with 40 series mufflers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBqerjNIT9k Mine have turn downs on them, but at the moment they are sitting just behind the header, so short pipes means loud exhaust. I am going to have them run back to under the rear seat with the turn downs and it will quieten it quite a bit. Mine is also pretty loud because of the build, yours would be a good bit quieter.

I think for the sound you are looking for, Bob's mufflers would do good. Run full length exhaust out the back, but use a turned down tip on it like the factory did instead of straight out. The more turns and length you have in the pipe, the more it will muffle the sound.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That does sound good Mike. I think I will be looking to go a notch or 2 more mellow (taking into consideration that the pipes aren't full length yet). I have some exhaust tips that are going out tucked up into the valance so I am sort of committed to going straight out sort of. It will take probably 3 or 4 bends to get it to run along the side of the gas tank to get the tips tucked in right. The exhaust guy said after I get the engine tuned he will check the temp on the pipes and put in an H connection.

I just had sub-frame connectors and a drive shaft loop put in (probably sweet sweet overkill!)

Is 40 series a size thing or a brand line thing?

I will have pictures when it is done. Keep the opinions and clips coming.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I like the Walker Dynomax mufflers. Three chamber and have that low tough quiet sound.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That last audio does sound good. Keep em coming. Anyone have a clip of some walker dynomax or magnaflows?

·
Registered
194 Posts
dual magnaflows, long tube headers, 2.5" tailpipes, no intermediate pipe (balancer tube), turndowns right behind the rear valance panel. Sounds quite authentic.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I have the Walker DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers (Fox Mustang part number so they have the right hanger brackets for my car!) on the 393W in my *ahem* '89 Crown Vic *ahem* (Fox Mustang shorty headers. 2-1/2" Fox-Mustang H-pipe, to 2-1/2" muffs, necked down to 2-1/4" tails). Nice mellow sound. Not restrictive at all - I ran back-to-back 'uncorked' and through the complete exhaust at the track and no difference in ET/MPH!!!

I can get an audio clip, but it might take me a a couple of weeks since I just ripped the motor apart for this year's upgrades...

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Guys can say what they want. I'm a Flowmaster fan. I've had the old school 3-chambers on the Hero since 1994. I cannot see myself putting anything else on there.

For cars that I don't want that loud, or if I'm looking to save a few bucks. I put on those cheapo $15 "Summit" Turbos, which I believe are made by Walker. They have a nice mellow tone and appear to hold up rather well due to the aluminized construction. I've had them on my daily driver for the last 7 years and on my T-Bird for 12 and will be putting them on my wife's Olds Convertible this summer.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Magnaflow>Flowmaster for me.

For a mellow tone, I used the Walkers on my car too. It's okay to have a rumbling beast that you only take out every once in a while, but the low frequencies from "performance" exhausts really bug me after a while.
Mellow is good.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Hey Milo, why don't you work on them Q cars? Been what, 25 years?
28 years...

Well, for one thing, my back garage (aka cathouse) doesn't have heat, so working out there is out of the question from Oct through April... Secondly, if I were to lay down on my back and wiggle myself under AlphaCat to grind/wire wheel/whatever off the rest of the factory undercoat, I probably wouldn't be able to get back up again... With all of the snow rain we've had here the past few weeks (due for another 6-12" of snow starting tonight!), I can't even wade through the back yard (swamp) to get to the garage! AND I still have to part out the other two Partscats... AND I still have to fix up and sell the '66 Comet... AND I have to get my beater '96 Crown Vic back on the road so I can get 20+mpg vs the F-250's 11mpg... If gas prices get too high this Summer, I won't be racing since I'll burn $40 in gas for every round trip, plus the $25 race entry...

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
28 years...

Well, for one thing, my back garage (aka cathouse) doesn't have heat, so working out there is out of the question from Oct through April... Secondly, if I were to lay down on my back and wiggle myself under AlphaCat to grind/wire wheel/whatever off the rest of the factory undercoat, I probably wouldn't be able to get back up again... With all of the snow rain we've had here the past few weeks (due for another 6-12" of snow starting tonight!), I can't even wade through the back yard (swamp) to get to the garage! AND I still have to part out the other two Partscats... AND I still have to fix up and sell the '66 Comet... AND I have to get my beater '96 Crown Vic back on the road so I can get 20+mpg vs the F-250's 11mpg... If gas prices get too high this Summer, I won't be racing since I'll burn $40 in gas for every round trip, plus the $25 race entry...
Milo, I have been waiting for a chance to post this quote::)

The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On,
after it crashed into....We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop, at Get the Hell Over It.
Reporting LIVE from Quitchur *****in'.

Reactions: TheRktmn

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That sounds great Woodsnake! Good exhaust note on acceleration and nice mellow rumble on idle. My mufflers are in, just waiting on the tips and then I should have some video. I had the muffler guy clamp them in until I hear them.

Nice dyno pull Cold Cougar. Sounds tuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts