Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to break out the tripod and shoot a driving video. This was maybe a little over half throttle, still scared of full throttle, lol. Sound isn't the best, the car is a little loud for the camera.

I tried to shoot another when I left the store with more throttle, but the tripod couldn't hangle the G's. I need to find a way to secure the camera better.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
spent more on gas than ya did on groceries, Pretty cool, I was trying to see what that sign said? 55? or was that 45 LOL nice ride

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Cool,

I have had some hot cars, been a HOT RODDER for nearly 60 years now, still love to get side ways. Anyway, my favorite spot is LONG ON RAMPS. On a COOL night it is so much fun. When we lived in Michigan there was one ramp that was very LONG, and oh how I loved to put the pedal to the metal with my GT-E, and later my Vette. I know many hate Vette folks, but hey, each to his own.

Sounds good, bet you got some stares too.....

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Very cool, half throttle? I saw you rev to 6000.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Nice! That thing is a beast...

I tried to shoot another when I left the store with more throttle, but the tripod couldn't hangle the G's. I need to find a way to secure the camera better.
http://www.chasecam.com/catalog/12

I use their standard "triple suction cup mount". If you saw the short video I did of Scott's 69 SCJ car, that's what I used.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spent more on gas than ya did on groceries, Pretty cool, I was trying to see what that sign said? 55? or was that 45 LOL nice ride
You're probably right, 2.50 on hoagie rolls for meatballs subs, 10 dollars in fuel, lol.

Have 250 miles on it now, and have already burned 3 tanks of gas, my fuel milage is poor at beast. Oh, and it was 45, but the speed limit is just a suggestion right?

Very cool, half throttle? I saw you rev to 6000.
Thanks. A little over half, honestly, this thing scares the crap out of me. It can climb to 6K with the tires spinning pretty easy, and the 3800 stall doesn't help. The cams theoretical peak power RPM is 8500, so it is hardly even spinning.

Nice! That thing is a beast...

http://www.chasecam.com/catalog/12

I use their standard "triple suction cup mount". If you saw the short video I did of Scott's 69 SCJ car, that's what I used.
For as cheap as that is, I may have to get something like that, or make my own. Thanks.

Whats that Hot Rods HP? Sounds awesome and more video's!
Desktop dyno says 600 or better, so taking into account the power loss from the drivetrain, it should be around 400-450 at the wheels. I will find out when I get it broke in good and my buddy gets his dyno put in at his new shop.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here is the failed video. I let out of it when I saw the camera going for fear of destroying the camera.

How do I edit video to cut some of the crap out, or shorten one?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll make a point to SOLIDLY mount my tripod when I get 'round to shooting a video of my cat!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I heard the crash and thought my camera was toast. I am going to try to rig up something to mount the camera to the roof and find an empty road one day.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Don't forget a clothing rod between the hooks in the back seat. You can attach a camera to that and make it stay level/pointed. And it's removable.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got another one now. Not much different than before, but had a little more speed going before I got in it and it got a little looser than before. I also rigged up a camera mount this time. Welded some scraps together and hung it from the ceiling. It transfers a lot more of the vibrations than the tripod though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Beast!!!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yeah, I heard the crash and thought my camera was toast. I am going to try to rig up something to mount the camera to the roof and find an empty road one day.
Have to get that bad boy to the track and see what you can do in the 1/4
The kids has a blast and his first run with street rubber was 103 MPH
Cant wait to see what he does this year with the right set up

Thanks for posting and she sounds great. Nice work
PS would keep the camera off the roof LOL

·
Registered
992 Posts
Mike, love the videos, car sounds like a monster. Want to see more!

I have a quick question about video-ing. This weekend I tried to take some in-car video like yours in my drag car, I mounted my JVC video camera (which is small and light, about the size of an animal crackers box) to the roll cage cross bar behind the seat. I taped the roll bar with electrical tape, then took that metal strapping with the holes in it that you use to hang duct work or dryer tube, and fabbed a quick bracket to "strap" the camera to the cage utilizing the camera's tapped hole for the tripod. As you'd imagine, my car (non-cougar) with open headers and solid motor mounts is a loud rattle-machine. I tested the camera on the trip from the pits to the staging lanes (not going more that 20mph tops and that's a high estimate). The torque converter is 5000rpm stall so it takes a good deal of rpm to put-put up to the staging lanes. When I checked the camera it said recording cancelled, then had some recovery it had to do.

I guess the vibrations were too much. next time I'll try strapping it around some of that roll bar closed cell padding (which the cross bar currently doesn't have) to give it some cushioning. I guess camera couldn't handle it.

Anybody else go thru this when trying to in-car video with the camera mounted up?

Kevin

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Need d a rider (with nice legs!!) to hold it for you! (the camera I mean - you perv's) ;>) Thanks for the ride Mike! Cool!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Good ol' GA.!

It scares the crap out of you?!? Take it out on 20. Hey, lets swap cars for a week or two!

I lol'ed when I saw headliner in that second video. "Oh dip!"

These are cool. I've always wanted to make a video of my drive to work or something, but I was afraid that I'd catch flack for my speedo not working!

As far as video editing, do you have a PC or a Mac? On a PC you should have Windows Movie Maker, which is super easy to use. On a Mac you have iMovie, which is a little more tedious. You just upload the video from your camera into the program, then you can cut sections out of it, add captions or commentary, add music, effects, whatever. Loads of fun, for sure.

How sideways can you get it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts