Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it and what is involved with replacing the lug bolts? I have a '68 standard coupe with disks/drums, and my lugs are all torn up.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
remove drum / rotor or axle and pound em out and press in new ones

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can I do it without a machine shop/press? How well do I need to align them? Is a ball-peen hammer "precise" enough?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i have used a good ball pain, i mean peen in the past, where eye protection

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
I have used an oversized socket as a spacer and a lug nut to pull them up flush. Worked for me.....
Marty

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it's pretty straight forward, I could do it in an hour or two with no special tools (just a jack and basic sockets/wrenches/screwdrivers to get the rotor off or the axle out)?
And lugs are available at <fill-in-the-blank> parts stores, right?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
ya

·
Registered
614 Posts
Straightforward if the studs wanna cooperate, that is....faFOO!

Having a press is handy! Now, to find one....:D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shoulda stayed at the $7/hr machine shop, I always say...
I still wear the work-boots (to remember the real engineering I used to do) but the oil has long dried up... :(

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Martys68 gave good advise on how to with out press. 3 1/2 lb hand sledge makes studs cooperate coming out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just replaced two on the rear without removing the axle. After the drum was off I just used a hammer on the old lugs to remove them. There was enough room to get the new ones in after oiling the holes to reduce friction. Then I attached nuts and used an impact wrench to press them into place. Took about 5 minutes. And I was prepared to remove the axle and take all day. How often does that happen?
Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts