Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the Shelby Drop mod, looks good, wondering if any of you have done a coil spring swap to a 1"?

If so, was it an easy task?

Any special tools required?

Any hillbilly shortcuts you care to share?

I am a hillbilly so no offense taken, lol,,,,,thanks!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Swapping springs is nothing to take shortcuts with. Otherwise, you could be shortcutting your life.

Not difficult if you have a good spring compressor. Car up in the air, front wheels off (makes it easier) and shocks removed, then have at it.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
"good spring compressor"....I was parting out a 69 several years ago now, and I had a funky spring compressor that failed, while I was removing the passenger side spring. ****ing thing shot out of the pocket of the lower control arm, and went past my head. I about **** myself...

I went to Autozone, and bought their spring compressor kit, (the one they rent out) and have used it a few times now, with excellent results.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I have heard that the Shelby drop doesn't actually lower the front height of a car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lowering the inner pivot point of the upper control arm 1" may roughly lower the front end by half an inch due to where the spring is placed on the control arm.
I just cut the spring a half a coil at a time with a cutoff wheel to get the ride hight where I want it after the shelby drop. Also shorter springs are easier to take in and out.
Mike

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here is a link to how to do the "Shelby drop" http://dazed.home.bresnan.net/drop
They mention that it does improve the handling of the car and is in their words "easy to do". What you are doing when doing this drop is lowering the UCA by 1". Unfortunately the actual drop of the car is much less than 1". Some cars that have it done drop only a 1/4". It is not a lowering method for lowering the body of the car, just lowering the suspension or more precisely the Upper Control Arm. To lower the "Body" of the front of the car you will need to put in shorter springs. 1" drop springs are available from Mustangs Unlimited. The spring compressor is something you don't want to scrimp on. I suggest one that goes inside the spring and has good strong arms on it. The ones that go on the outside have a tendency to slip which can be quite scary. People have lost fingers, hands, even been killed by a spring compressor that fails. I hope this link I have attached will explain the entire procedure for the shelby drop, you will need to change the springs though as well to get the body to drop. Be VERY Careful when removing and installing the springs.
Charlie

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL Neal ---- OOPS - OK my link on ebay didn't quite work

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here is a quote from the instructions about doing the "Shelby Drop" as I mentioned earlier it will make a big change in the responsiveness of the steering but drops only the upper control arms. Here is an excerpt from the instructions:
Although the upper control arms are lowered one inch, your Mustang's ride height will not sit one inch lower in the front. I noticed about ¼” drop on both of my Mustangs from this modification after the suspension settled, and ride height changes between ¼” and 5/8” have been reported by others who have done this modification. The reason this modification does not lower the car a full 1” is that ride height is determined by the spring and shock and the relative height where the spring and shock attach to the UCA. The ball joint end of the UCA rests at a fixed height to the road and the spring assembly is, of course, positioned in the middle of the UCA between the fixed ball joint end and the lowered end. Since the height of the UCA relative to the road remains the same on one end and changes on the other, the actual drop of the car is somewhere between the two changes of 0” and 1”. Thus, the drop is less than 1”.

Would hate to see you go through all the work and find that your car only lowered the body by between 1/4 and 1/2" after they settle in.
Charlie

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have Total Controls 2" drop coil overs in my car with Varishock adjustable shocks and I am very Pleased with the ride and handeling, You do not remove towers only the spring retainer plate on the underside of tower and they supply the tool for that ( spot weld removing bit ) The ride height can be altered from there a little up or down with the lower spring plate...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts