Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading up on how to eventually lower my '68 and ive kinda ran into a dilema. Kinda like wht chicken and the egg conundrum. Which comes first? Lowering, then fitting tires and rims or buying new rims and tires and lowering to suit? I want to get it considerably lower than it is right now, especially the front end but i really like the look of the cars ive seen that sit low with the front slightly lower. There is a white one i have seen on here that looks awesome.

I am not planning for it to be anything but a cruiser so looks are more inportant to me than high performance cornering.

Some people say the "shelby drop" is the way to go, others say putting shorter springs or cutting the existing springs is the best way to go. So its kinda confusing.

Its not something that I am planning to do this weekend so I've got plent of time to consider, but at any rate, the front end has GOT to come down some.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Since once you buy wheels and tires and mount the tire on the rim you're stuck with them, I would lower the front first... within reason and then buy the wheels and tires to fit.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Shelby drop (which is a worthy change to make in the front suspension geometry) should drop you about 1". Then see if you want or need to go lower by cutting springs or buying lowering springs. The Shelby drop is not about dropping the ride height (although it does a little), it is about making the front suspension geometry better.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
All springs are different. So there is no tried and true formula to determine how much of a drop you'll have. If going that route, take a 1/4 coil at a time and let the car settle for a bit before taking the next step.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
we just did a buddys 71 nosehigh vert---wacked one coil and then another 1/2 coil---one coil on old nosehigh got us 2 1/2 inches---he kept the 14 in rally wheels so we did a two size difference front to rear using bfg radials---looked great

be carefull on 67/68 cats--they have three horizontal lines (rocker---body fold between the wheelwells and the top of fenderline)that are not parallel to each other---try to make one of them parallel to the ground--the body revell works best---good luck and becareful with the spring compressor

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doctordesoto......I think I am gonna go by the wheel wells. I have a pretty good eye for proportion and the wheel wells seem to be the place that the eyes tend to focus on. At least for me anyway. I will definately be taking my time on this.

Local Hero....thanks for the tip on letting it settle in. i use that as a reminder to take my time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts