Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried just about everything and the damn lower ball joint bolt is not budging. Tryed ball joint fork, which just destroyed the boot, tried prybar, and NO MOVEMENT! I am stumped not mention now I have no ride!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
You have the nut off, right? Give it a couple good, solid whacks with a hammer on the side of the spindle where the bolt goes thru. Soak it with some penetrating oil too if it doesn't give up with the hammer whacks. Don't be shy... whack it good like you're hitting a 12 penny nail.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soaked it, removed the castle nut, beat the hell out of it with a hammer, used a prybar, ball joint sperator, and nothing. 71 XR7

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Eat some Wheaties and try again.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I don't know if 71 is different from the 69's I've worked on. Suspect they are the same. The ball joint bolt is cone shaped and thus gets tighter the further into the spindle it goes. If you are not reusing the LCA's, you could try hitting the top of the bolt downward or a little off center to break the connection. I've never had to go past the whack to the side of the spindle, so you may have something else going on here. Is the wheel off the ground? Maybe try setting the weight of the car back onto the LCA (I'd put the castle nut back on loosely first). Heat might help, but I'm not sure whether you can damage the spindle with a torch or not.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Don't hit the castle nut or ball joint with a hammer and don't use a pickle fork.

With the castle nut loosely installed, put a ball joint puller on tight. Just get it right, but don't try to remove. The shop manual states that you should not try to remove the ball joint with tool pressure alone. When it is installed, hit the spindle near the ball joint with a hammer. I used a 3 lb sledge. It will pop off eventually. If it doesn't, follow Bob's advice.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
If you put jack stands under the LCA, I imagine the weight of the car is keeping the spindle and LCA together. The LCA should be able to hang after you separate it from the spindle.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hang my head in shame on this one guys, being relieved that I finally removed and replaced the lca, stablizer link, and got it all back together, I put the wheel back on, sat it down and tightened up the lugs, upon driving I heard a horrible noise and suspected it was from the side I did all the work on. After driving with the windows down for about 5 minutes, I came to a redlight and realized all the noise was coming from the drivers side, immediately I remember upon doing all the work I had planned on doing the drivers side as well and completely forgot to tighten back up the lugs. WOW! I feel like I just lost some points there. ahhaah I actually wound up loosing a lug in the process of driving it.At least I didnt damage the lug bolts or loose a wheel!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts