Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up guys, I've been driving the hell out of my Cougar for the last few months but now I'm noticing a slight drag in the overall "roll" of the car. By this I mean its slowing to a halt quicker and making a funny sounding noise.

I noticed some gear oil leaking from my pumpkin which I'll be refilling tomorrow morning, but it doesn't feel like its coming from the rear, more like the front drivers side wheel. Do you think its the brakes? I still have the old drums on there and I haven't changed the pads in about a year and a half.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Does it make the sound all the time, or just when you hit the brakes? If all the time, then it is likely the wheel bearings. If only when hitting the brakes, then the shoes may be shot or a cylinder junked up and not releasing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now that I think about it, its all the time, and I remember the spindle being really worn down were the cotter pin goes thru spindle. the hole has been worn bigger, I bought new bearings for it two years ago, but maybe I need to retighten the retainer nut and stuff two cotter pins in there to hold it in position until I can get those disc brakes on there. I'm only a few weeks away from Disc brakes!!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I was gonna guess wheel bearings - did you grease them real good? I takes a surprising amount to pack them well.....
You may solve it when you do the conversion.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Don't really understand the question!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
? Aren't you replacing the whole shebang when you go to disc's? (spindles and all?) I would definitely get new bearings if the stuff is used.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Check here : http://www.discbrakeswap.com/ for a reasonably-priced Granada brake conversion. Everything you need at a good price with great customer service.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I'm trying to figure out what made the bearings go bad so quickly. It's only been 2 years. Would bad lower ball joints make them start to go bad? Maybe bad shocks?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay everybody first off Happy Holidays!!! I'm about to buy some new bearings and lower ball joints and control arm assembly, before I click the buy button, I'm just curious as to if this will change the way my wheels are sitting knock knee and worn my bearings down...

Thanks and enjoy your holidays fellas!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts